Buying a New Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
I am building a new computer from scratch and I have decided on all the parts except for the video card, which I keep hearing conflicting opinions about from all my friends, so I have come to you for help!!!!!!
I want to get a video card which will play all the new games for the next 2-3 years at medium settings. Right now, I am thinking about the Geforce 8600GT 512 GDDR3 that i found for $130 on newegg but I was told by someone that is currently won't even play some of the new games like Bioshock on low settings. What is your opinion on this card and is there any cards that you guys recommend for the ~150 to 250 price range (cheaper the better)
Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

There is no card that will be on top for 2-3 years. Especially not any 8600GT.

The larger amount (512MB) of video memory is just bait for those who assume that bigger is better. All GeForce 8600GT GPU's have a 128-bit memory interface. This makes it quite useless to have 512MB of memory (imagine draining a big bucket of water through a tiny pin-sized hole).

For current-gen games, there is one DX9 card still hanging in there, and that is the Radeon x1950PRO. It's cheap, and will beat any variation of the GeForce 8600GT.

However, I'm guessing you want something DX10-capable and reasonably future-proof. If that's the case, I wouldn't bother with any product in the GeForce 8600 series. Push it up one level and go for the 8800GTS 320MB (slightly above your max. budget, I'm afraid).

if you can wait a month or two then go for the 8800GT rumored to be released late october or early november

Is the 8800GT definetely going to be 250? I was thinking of getting it for that price, but I don't want to pay any more really.

Yeah, I saw a picture taken from some site that posted the video card early and the price was 244.99, no reason why that woudn't be the price.

ok the 8800gtx overclocked by XFX would be your best choice but it's expencive in my curancy it's 4000 to 5800 rands . but you should get it cheaper just look aroud the net

The 8800GTX is way above his budget. Please read the first post more carefully.
@semmem1, here is a link to an 8800GT. It's faster than the 8800GTS and is at an excellent price point as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back