Buying a router in 2 days, some suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph30nIX

Hey guys.

Im about to go out and buy a router. I live in Australia so its PPPoE or whatever. What is a good router with 4 to 8 ports and possilby a print server. I like D-Link for its easy setup. I had a bad experience with a netcomm nb1300 plus so im not bnuying it again.

Anything up to $150 AUS is fine..

Thanks,
Ph30nIX.

In Oz you should be able to get Billion routers from www.billion.com or www.billion.com.tw
I have their Billion Bipac 640AE broadband router 4-port 10/100Mbsp
They are cheap and cheerful and work great.
I use a separate 2-ports (parallel) printserver, Netgear PS110

Because I needed more ports on my router, I just bought an 8-port SMC Barricade SMC7008ABR, which includes 1 parallel printerport.
The SMC7008ABR also comes with connection insurance through a built-in serial port for dial-up access, so you won't be out on a limb if your broadband connection fails.
www.smc.com
Very recommendable. Mine was a factory-refurbished one for US $34.99 (normally about $85.-).

I personally like Linksys but their support sucks, especially if you ever have a real problem with a faulty piece of hardware. The quality of their products is good but if you ever need to use their support, you're out of luck and they aren't very helpful if you need help with configuration either.

D-link has a very extensive collection of info on their website, as well as emulators for their UI, knowledge base articles and many other helpful resources. I'm still a bit leary of them though because of past experiences(several years ago they were horrid, both in quality and service) From what I've seen of them in the past year however, they seem to be making a very solid product lately and backing it with a very user friendly interface and lots of help for those who need it.

SMC is good if you know what you are doing, they aren't really geared toward the novice.

A couple to stay away from would be Blitzz and Belkin. There are good reasons these brands are so cheap. You get what you pay for and I see nothing but problems from these two.

Just remember, if you are going to get one with wireless, stick with the current standards, don't get one with the pre-n, or double speed features unless the adapters you are using also support these features. Many of theese don't work so well with adapters that don't support those features unless you disable them, then you've wasted the extra money you paid for the features.

D-Link is my Recommendation

I have the D-Link DI-604 (I think that's the model) and I'm very happy with it. I originally purchased a Linksys BEFSR41 (or something like that) and it always hung - I had to constantly reset it. I could not connect to any P2P clients such as Imesh, bear share, gnutella, etc. I sold it on ebay and bought the D-Link; since then I've had no problems at all.

Ok, i did a bad move today.

I bought a Di 704 P 4port router with PS.

What i didnt realise is that i need a ADSL Jack (RJ-11) so that i can access the internet, instead of the WAN port that it has.
Doh, lucky it only cost me $65 AUD so im taking it back next week anyway.
Do you guys think it would be worth while getting a wireless with 4 ports for $89 AUD if it has the RJ-11 Jack?

Thanks,
Ph30nIX.

Look at this FAQ from D-Link Oz: http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/faq/di704p/

Your setup now (probably) has an ADSL modem, one end of one cable plugs into the wall-telephone-socket, the other end into the ADSL modem (both RJ11).
Then there should be an RJ45 cable from modem to PC. Instead of to the PC you connect this to the WAN-port of your new router. Use another (straight) cable to connect PC(s) to the 4 LAN-ports on the router.

I knew how to do that... but its not the problem..

DSL-200

|----|
|----|RJ-11 ADSL Jack
|
|
USB TO COMPUTER.

I think it this diagram comes out you will be able to understand. Is there some sort of convertor for RJ-11 to WAN or something that will fit my needs, also if there is could someone point me in the right direrction with a link.

thanks,
Ph30nIX.

Erm.. What exactly do you want to connect to what?

You are saying that some local port of your DSL modem uses a RJ-11 jack?
Or are you trying to plug the phone line into your router?

In the first case.. Sure there are RJ-11 to RJ-45 adapters but you should triple check if the RJ-11 connector you see actually carries an ethernet signal - it may be a connector for serial line or an extra jack for some phone line instead. And your router most certainly wants to see ethernet in its WAN port.

In the second case.. You cannot plug the phone line into your router since the thing your bought does not have a DSL modem built in.

I use Linksys too. IT's been great for me - no problems..... It's also been a pretty good firewall as well.

sounds like you need a new modem.
some modem to router setups tell you not to use the usb port,if you are using a router.

Yes.. I am trying to get a adsl modem/router...

I already had a bad experience with a netcomm NB 1300 + where the stupid 4 click setup didnt work. My modem connects to the phone line, then to my computer via USB, then it is shared through LAN.

1)"Please note : Only the above ADSL modems are supported." I odnt have one of those modems.

2) I know D-Link is reliable as long i buiy the right thing, my DSL-200 has been great, i just dont like the current setup since i am getting a third PC soon.

3) Is it worth getting a wireless and well as 4ports if it has the modem built in??

Thanks,
Ph30nIX. ;)

If you don't plan on regular (big) file-transfers between your home PCs, you could go wireless.
Wireless is more expensive and can be problematic. Safety needs to be properly implemented. Older houses with thicker walls may also cause weaker/unstable connections.
Wired is easier, faster, safer and cheaper.

Well, i plan on having the the computers relativly close, the two now are in the same room, but the cable rugs under a rug an it gets stepped on heaps of times.

I was thinking about getting wireless so any friends with a laptop with wireless card could just drop in and use LAN. The walls arent that think, and the furthest it would be to a comp on wireless would be about 10-20m away.

I think that wireless here isnt that expensive, so i am seriously considering it.

Ph30nIX.

(Sorry for any mistakes, its really dark, i can hardly see the keyboard and its on a laptop which im not used to, so now i have to rely on my ttouch typing which i learnt purely from playing to many games and swearing at ppls.)

Use the on-screen keyboard to type? :p

If you can afford the little extra then the wireless capability can't hurt as long as you remember to secure it. You never know what you may need in the future.

As for the cables running under rugs.. Just buy more cable and run it along the walls instead of straight across the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back