Buying Decision: Western Digital vs. Seagate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'd like to hear people's opinion on this. I'm buying a new drive to replace my dead IBM GXP 60GB (what a crap drive!!), and it will either be WD400BB 40GB or a Seagate ST380011A 80GB. They are both priced around the same so the Seagate appears to be better value.

Seagate didn't have a great reputation in the '80s I hear. I'd be very interested in what some who has about 20 years of experience to give me an idea; what they were like in the old days, what they're like now.

Thanks for your help,
Psyched13.

Any real life experience anyone may have applies to drives over a year old.
Noone can tell how a new model will behave..

Unless you can get much better warranty with WD go for the Seagate.

first 3 give same warranties at about the same price higher priced first
Seagate would be my chioce first
then Western digital
maxtor for oem throw away
IBM deskstar if you like to gamble

Based on my variety of experiences, I'd choose Seagate unless you are planning on dumping some money for WD Raptors.

Experience from 20 years ago isn't going to help you, but Seagate's reputation took a dive after they bought Connor. :) Infact, the whole company took a dive with layoffs and being spread too thin overseas.

But they've gained a large market share since and have remained very strong in company / business sales all the while. Their current consumer line of drives seem very reliable as the ratio of bad Seagate drives vs good ones seems lower than bad Western Digital vs. good ones. I don't have numbers, but that's just the way it looks after working on thousands of computers.

My personal experiences with Seagate have been flawless. No problems. I cannot say the same for WD. But again, it is all subjective and luck of the draw...

Also from my personal experiences, I might include Samsung if it is available at a low price as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back