Buying New Video Card PCI :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

F1N3ST

CPU: Intel® Celeron® D Processor 335
(2.80GHz, 533MHz FSB, 256KB L2 cache)
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home (SP2)
Chipset: Intel® 865GV chipset
Memory: 768MB DDR 400
Expandable to 2GB
Hard Drive: 280GB
Optical Drive: CD-RW + DVD+RW Drives
Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics2 3D
64MB shared video memory
Sound: AC '97 audio
Network: Intel® PRO 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Standard keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front, 4 in back), 1 VGA external connector, 1 serial, 1 parallel, 2 PS/2, 5 audio (2 in front, 3 in back)
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

I Only have PCI slots, i have 3 free PCI slots, i am on a budget of under 80$. Does anyone know a good PCI card for my computer? And would buying an Audio card help performance any?

I think the best PCI card right now is the nVidia Geforce 6200 PCI.
You can find it HERE

You can find a review of it from a Techspot member HERE.

Cheers!

F1N3ST said:
Is 128mb good enough to play CS:S? I found 1 with 256mb, and has a 290mhz core clock, would this outperform that one, because of the memory size, or should i get that other one you said? Here it is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143059

Essentially, a card of this class can't utilize 256mb fully. Games that would benefit from 256mb of graphic memory would be too demanding for any pci card to handle well.

A 6200 is better, it has a 350mhz core clock, and a newer graphics core, vs the fx series 250-290mhz clock and older core.

F1N3ST said:
Where would 2 6200's get me :D
:confused: it would simply allow you to run more than two monitors.

you cannot use them like SLI if that's what you're wondering. SLI requires two PCI-express slots and an SLI capable chipset.

as mentioned earlier, currently the 3DFuzion 6200 is the best video card you can get for a PCI slot. and for only $38 you really can't go wrong.

it's a far cry from a high end card, but should allow you to play most games on low settings. if you want to be able to play games on higher settings, then your only option will be to replace the mobo with one that has an AGP or PCI-E slot.

cheers :wave:

I thought it was for $30;) But anyways, it's the only PCI card I know of that can even run Battlefield 2, which speaks volumes for its performance.

I have an almost identical system to the OP (Pentium chip rather than Celeron, but also 2.8 GHz), but my budget is a little more generous. ;)

Is there a 128-bit card that performs better than the 6200? I bought an FX 5200 (PCI, 256 MB) just today because it was on the shelf, but I haven't opened it yet and now I'm thinking I should just return it while I can. Or am I better off going with Radeon, and what specific cards should I consider?

This is so my wife can run Sid Meier's Pirates and Oblivion. I doubt we'll get involved in graphics more complicated than that, and I certainly don't want to pay extra for dual-monitor capability, which most of the Radeon cards seemed to have.

F1N3ST said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103167 Is what im getting, i dont care what these guys say :p, but there arent many PCI Cards that are even 80$. And mostly all the cards have dual monitor support. I Bought 2 cards from circuit city, and returned both of them opened, and i got no penalty or anything. So you should just try it. That card you got is another 1 of the options i was thinking about.
EDIT- This- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143059
Well then ur just stupid coz the 6200 is $35.99 and screws the Radeon pretty badly.
@elindholm, no there is no other PCI card that performs better than the 6200. And I think this card will run Oblivion well but u have to use something called OLDblivion AFAIK. But if that's the game u wanna play, then a card with more onboard memory would be better since Oblivion has loads of textures.(correct me if I'm wrong here people)

Whatever card you get, make sure it's not from the nvidia's FX line. The 6200 easily kills them all, even the ATI 9250.

$160 is a waste of money for PCI.

he could upgrade to an AGP/PCI-E setup and actually get a decent video card (compared to a 6200) for $160.

but then again, he "doesn't care what us guys say" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back