Buying New Video Card PCI :(

By F1N3ST
Jul 26, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CPU: Intel® Celeron® D Processor 335
    (2.80GHz, 533MHz FSB, 256KB L2 cache)
    Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home (SP2)
    Chipset: Intel® 865GV chipset
    Memory: 768MB DDR 400
    Expandable to 2GB
    Hard Drive: 280GB
    Optical Drive: CD-RW + DVD+RW Drives
    Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics2 3D
    64MB shared video memory
    Sound: AC '97 audio
    Network: Intel® PRO 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet
    Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
    Peripherals: Standard keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
    Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front, 4 in back), 1 VGA external connector, 1 serial, 1 parallel, 2 PS/2, 5 audio (2 in front, 3 in back)
    Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

I Only have PCI slots, i have 3 free PCI slots, i am on a budget of under 80$. Does anyone know a good PCI card for my computer? And would buying an Audio card help performance any?
  2. kitty500cat

kitty500cat Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,407   +6

3. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

I think the best PCI card right now is the nVidia Geforce 6200 PCI.
    You can find it HERE

You can find a review of it from a Techspot member HERE.

Cheers!
  4. F1N3ST

F1N3ST Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 1,088

5. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Essentially, a card of this class can't utilize 256mb fully. Games that would benefit from 256mb of graphic memory would be too demanding for any pci card to handle well.

A 6200 is better, it has a 350mhz core clock, and a newer graphics core, vs the fx series 250-290mhz clock and older core.
  6. F1N3ST

Where would 2 6200's get me :D
  7. KingCody

KingCody TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

:confused: it would simply allow you to run more than two monitors.

you cannot use them like SLI if that's what you're wondering. SLI requires two PCI-express slots and an SLI capable chipset.

as mentioned earlier, currently the 3DFuzion 6200 is the best video card you can get for a PCI slot. and for only $38 you really can't go wrong.

it's a far cry from a high end card, but should allow you to play most games on low settings. if you want to be able to play games on higher settings, then your only option will be to replace the mobo with one that has an AGP or PCI-E slot.

cheers :wave:
  8. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

I thought it was for $30;) But anyways, it's the only PCI card I know of that can even run Battlefield 2, which speaks volumes for its performance.
  9. wolfram

A 6200 can easily outperform a FX5200 or FX5500 PCI. Even with the 64 bit bus.
  10. elindholm

elindholm Newcomer, in training

I have an almost identical system to the OP (Pentium chip rather than Celeron, but also 2.8 GHz), but my budget is a little more generous. ;)

Is there a 128-bit card that performs better than the 6200? I bought an FX 5200 (PCI, 256 MB) just today because it was on the shelf, but I haven't opened it yet and now I'm thinking I should just return it while I can. Or am I better off going with Radeon, and what specific cards should I consider?

This is so my wife can run Sid Meier's Pirates and Oblivion. I doubt we'll get involved in graphics more complicated than that, and I certainly don't want to pay extra for dual-monitor capability, which most of the Radeon cards seemed to have.
  11. F1N3ST

12. Rage_3K_Moiz

Well then ur just stupid coz the 6200 is $35.99 and screws the Radeon pretty badly.
    @elindholm, no there is no other PCI card that performs better than the 6200. And I think this card will run Oblivion well but u have to use something called OLDblivion AFAIK. But if that's the game u wanna play, then a card with more onboard memory would be better since Oblivion has loads of textures.(correct me if I'm wrong here people)
  13. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

14. F1N3ST

Yay, now i have to find a lower price.
  15. wolfram

Whatever card you get, make sure it's not from the nvidia's FX line. The 6200 easily kills them all, even the ATI 9250.
  16. Rage_3K_Moiz

17. KingCody

KingCody TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

$160 is a waste of money for PCI.

he could upgrade to an AGP/PCI-E setup and actually get a decent video card (compared to a 6200) for $160.

but then again, he "doesn't care what us guys say" ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.