buying pc

etones

im buying my dad a new pc to replace this old one, he uses it for internet and office work etc, will this be good enough

Processor - AMD Sempron 2800+
RAM - 256mb (upto 2GB)
Hard Drive - 40 GB
dvd-rom drive
6 in 1 card reader
Graphics Controller - AGP 8x - integrated
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
microsoft Works
keyboard, mouse and speakers included.
no monitor

£209.99

That will be just fine for him. My only concern would be MS Works. It will work fine if he's not doing any real complex spreadsheets, but I'd recommend Office, although to get Office thats about the price of the whole computer...

OpenOffice is free and can take the place of MS Office, but you'll have to remember to save into a format MS Office apps will be able to open without problems.

I don't know if he needs to be able to do backups (save important data in case the HDD fails).

You may want to consider changing that DVD-rom drive to a DVD-RW drive (or better yet, a multidrive).

Wait a minute... you don't even have a CD-rom drive? Pretty much a MUST these days. Confirm that DVD-rom drive can at least READ regular CDs.

forgot to mention that he can get ms office free from his work place, also the dvd rom drive can read regular cds

That should be enough to do those task easily. I happy to see people that realize what they need for the desired task. It is quite often that people want the lastest and greatest only to surf the web. Smart move on this PC

Sean

Back