TechSpot

BYU image algorithm can identify objects without human help

1. BYU engineer Dah-Jye Lee has created an object recognition algorithm that can accurately identify objects in images or video sequences all by itself, without any human help. According to Lee, the unique selling proposition of the algorithm is that it...

Read more

2. Ohhh, skynet looks so adorable when it was a little baby.

3. Person of Interest.

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Wow this is creepy.

H3llion likes this.
  5. Skynet is NSA's code name.

H3llion likes this.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,549   +2,894

Code Red! Middle finger detected, guy in red and gray sweat shirt, north east corner of campus.

7. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

This wont improve the quality of the ufo and bigfoot pictures though sadly :(

They will be forever grainy no matter how much high definition improves lol

8. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,035   +268

Now if we could only run them for captcha input. :D

cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. cliffordcooley

LOL

If they did I wouldn't want to witness the next step in stopping automated bots. Thats a step that might stop everyone without a high IQ (that includes yours truly).

10. Now what we really need is behavioural monitoring software that can spot a paedophile a mile away and call in an airstrike.

Job done, no more Bishop at the alter.

11. It's still not enough!! NSA needs algorithm that can identify terrorists and their full ID without human help :D

12. One step closer to taking are rights away and merging with the machine

13. Absolutely amazing technology...I plan to design a future flying vehicle and needed an object avoidance algorithm, this could be suitable. Kudos to the inventor.

14. Techspot, please add 'thumbs up' and down, there's some comments I really wanted to thumb up.

15. ElShotte

ElShotte TS Enthusiast Posts: 162

Goddamn it! Thanks for freely publishing the algorithm, +1 NSA.

16. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,978   +362

We already have a "Like" button for comments but I believe you have to be a registered member to see it and use it.

17. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Ha, I've read about these programs. They have to analyze the whole picture before they can figure out what they're looking at and if you change the angle of the subject it has to start all over again. Kinda funny to think that a computer can recognize a chair, but if you turn it upside down it gets confused for a second while it reprocesses it.

I wish I could remember were I read about that so I could link a source... I think it was WIRED.

18. But will it blend??

19. cliffordcooley

^^^ Don't see the humor in asking "Will an algorithm blend?".

20. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 508   +45

100% accuracy, yet in the image example its 99.4% :D