C-Media 8738 6Ch OnBoard Audio VS Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between the two, which is better?

C-Media 8738 6Ch OnBoard Audio

VS

Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

I'm a heavy gamer & music listener using Creative Inspire 2.1 Slim (2600) speakers.

Any feedback would be great. Thx :)

I have a mother board that has that on-audio chip. It's actually not that bad at all, but if you are a heavy gammer, and have EAX games, go with the Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer. The Audigy will use far less CPU resource if you've turned on EAX in game then the on board and supports EAX ver 3 and maybe 4. I notice an improvement in UT2k4 from going from this onboard to Audigy Gamer (I have since moved up to Audigy 2 ZS).

Now for the serious music, you want to loot any soundcard based off of the
VIA’s Envy24HT chipset, like the M-Audio Revolution. It plays back sound better then most cards but does not hand EAX that well (it works).

When I switch over to my Sound Blaster, I have this odd thumping noise coming from my speakers. But not from my Onboard audio. I have no idea why or how to fix this. Just for that reason I've stuck with the onboard.

Anyone know how I can get rid of the thumping?

Possible solution to thumping problem

I had the same trouble with an Audigy 1-card. I found that the thumping was generated by my CD/DVD-drive (which is connected to the soundcard directly), so that when I turned down "CD Audio" in the sound preferences in Windows, the noise went away. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back