C++ runtime error - picture it

Status
Not open for further replies.

mott

hi all
having some problems ,ok I use microsoft picture it quite alot (may not bee the best or easyest but it works for me) came to use it last night via right click on an image and then open with picture it ..the program begins to load and then I get a grey pop up as follows
microsoft C++ runtime library
runtime error
program
This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way please contact the application,s support team for more info

there is no code or description as to the nature of the error i have looked in event viewer nothing listed there
I did search this site and found some articals relating to C++ but most of these have some form of description or path to follow (is there a way to find out some more information so i can give you more info)
one artical did mention running a full scan so since my norton is all but removed i did an online scan with panda found 11 problems but would only remove 1 for me unless i buy the program .I have kept a log of what was found if that would help
I also ran HJT again i have a log of this too ( didnt want to be too presuming and post them now )
any ideas or advice would be great im trying to sort my pc out now before I set up a network with my daughters pc (shes hastling me for internet lol)
i am running xp sp2 on a packard bell

Find the Error in the Event Viewer that correspond to the time of the crash: Follow this path:

Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then paste (use CTRL-V) the event details here. It makes for easy reporting of the event-you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description-but paste all else.

You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

thanks for responding m8 but as i said in my first post event viewer shows nothing no events listed in apps ,or system or security i just tried to open again by right clicking on the picture i want to edit and selecting "open with" picture it i did this several times and every time i got the runtime error i did it a 10 pm and then went to event viewer and nothing at all
any ideas?

Please clarify: Event Viewer> do you mean there are no Errors? Or do you mean nothing has been logged?

hi
sorry my friend yes there are logs but no there are no listings that relate to my problem
i have just cleard all logs and attempted to open picture it as described before,,,.....I got the runtime error as usual , i did this several times then went back in to event viewer, and the only log was under the security section and that was one listing for "sucessfull audit"
just to clarify, the computer does not crash when the runtime error happens, it simply wont allow me to use picture it
also ,picture it will open normaly if i open it from all programs, but if i import images in to it and try to open them to edit i get the runtime problem again
I have downloaded cc cleaner tonight and it found loads of things ,,i was abit worried about deleating them but in the end i did, however the problem with picture it remains
the other thing i have done tonight was d/l regcure and did a scan with that .it found over 1100 errors but could only fix about 40 of them unless i spent money (can you recomend a good free updatable registry cleaner?) or an i jumping the gun abit?
hope this is of some help
if there is anything else i can provide to help just ask
cheers

"online scan with panda found 11 problems " guess I need to ask what kind of problems? Panda is an online virus scan. Did you have an antivirus program running on the system. And also should have at least 2 spyware/adware programs. So right now, your security status is in question.

As to the Runtime Error itself:
PIP2002: Error Message When You Start Program:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316861

There is a patch. Download it and let me know if it handles the problem.

hi bobbye
ok i have norton internet security /antivirus but i couldnt afford to renew my subscription i have spybot s&d (kept up to date) i have adaware 2007(kept up to date) i now have HJT and CC cleaner ( as of about a week ago) i also have reg healer but not too sure if its any good or not
I wanted to remove norton because
1/ its out of date
2/ too memory intensive
3/ i dont trust it that much (i get the impression its abit over rated)
as i said i wanted to remove it but this in itself looks like somthing of a mission
i have just installed avg free on my daughters pc seems to have a good following and seems to be just fine. so i was going to put that on to this pc at a later date

i dont know if i am permitted to post a HJT log or panda log in this forum (new to this) but i have saved logs from both if that will help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back