C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe MISSING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamboD

Everytime I start my computer I get a message telling me that C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe is missing. When i try to install memtest(i think that's what it's called) i'm told that

C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

it's because one of the following files is missing from \WINNT\System32 or \WINDOWS\System32:

* Config.nt
* Autoexec.nt
* Command.com

Check to see that these files are there. If not, expand them from the install CD and copy them to \WINNT\System32 or \WINDOWS\System32.
They'll be on the CD in the \I386 folder as:
Config.nt_
autoexec.nt_
command.co_

From a command prompt window, type Expand /? to get instructions for using Expand.

Or if it is on your PC, copy those file(s) from C:\windows\repair or c:\winnt\repair into your \system32 directory.

You may need to make sure that you can see system and hidden files in Explorer.

BTW, the memtest program should format a floppy and install files on that floppy, NOT on your PC!

system32 is missing again,

guys i have a real big problem... my system32 is missing in windows folder... i had figured this out last time but when p2pnetwork (again) got into my system it vanished again... by the way the whole msconfig and p2pnetwork is wiped out now however my system32 is still missing, but its there when i type it in run... last time i fixed this by doing something in msdos... unfortunately i lost the site that gave me the instruction... so somebody please i need help.. thankyou very much

Open Windows Explorer, select Tools/Folder Options, then the View tab.
Tick 'Show hidden files and folders'
UNtick 'Hide protected ...'

hey,

thankyou for that.. but it didnt work.... can you suggest another method pls.. thankyou... i think the command prompt thing can work... do u know how to do this in msdos? if so, pls post it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back