C\windows\system32\config\system corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

saspinall

Hi
Got a problem with pc in that it wont boot up. I get a message saying corrupt or missing c:\windows\system32\config\system. Have looked on the internet and it says to reboot using the riginal cd and use the 'r' option to repair. Thing is that I dont get the repair option when i boot from the xp cd. It just looks like it would if you were installing from scratch.

Stu

No, it does 6 lines then the error message appears.

The 6 lines are :-

ntoskrnl.exe
hal.dll
KDCOM.dll
BOTVID.dll
config\system
config\system.alt

Thanks

Stu

A boot disk from here - http://www.bootdisk.com/ may well help you out. I'm assuming you can create one with the pc you are using at the moment here.

[edit] Just had a thought, have you tried "last known good configuration"?

Have tried all the options in the F8 list.

Is bootdisk a cd or floppy as laptop only has cd/dvd writer, no floppy

Stu

well, thanks for all the help guys, i thought as much that I was up the river without a paddle. In one of the posts, it mentioned backing up files when you cant even boot the cd so I might give it a go.

stu

Thanks, I havent read it properly yet, will have to download and print it off later but first glance it still mentions using the xp disc and the 'r' option to repair and use the recovery mode which i cant access.

Stu

please try this:

- download a bartpe cd or ultimate boot cd
- boot up your pc with this cd
- open any file browser available on the cd and browse to the path given in the error message
- you will find some files there, like DEFAULT, SAM, SOFTWARE and SYSTEM
- plus you should see the same files but with an extension ".sav"
- if the size of "system.sav" is larger than "system" then delete "system", make a copy of "system.sav" and rename this copy to "system"
- reboot your pc and see if it comes back with the "sav"ed registry part

hope this helps!
mscrx

yeah thats of course a good approach to save the data but thats what you can do more easy with a bartpe cd.
anyways I hope he can get his pc fixed in the first place and if not he can start thinking about backup... :)

cheers, mscrx

Cheers, Ive just downloaded the Bartpe, burnt a cd and am about to go onto my broken pc and try it out.

Will let you know if it works.

Stu

I got about 30% in to booting the pc from the bartpe disc and the pc reported back cannot find atiide.sys

There were a lot of warnings before I burnt the iso file and they were all .sys files which are on the xp cd but as sy_ files

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Stu

please make sure you have a xp sp2 cd and it is not an oem cd or an cutted re-install cd from any computer vendor. you need a full xp sp2 i386 folder.

mscrx

Edited for legal reasons.

I downloaded the ultimate boot cd, burnt it, but which utility do i use to view and modify the filesystem to change the system file which is corrupt?

Thanks for your help by the way

Stu

I don't remember the tools names exactly but in the start menu you will find something like "file tools" and there "explorer tools" ...

here is a content list:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm

since I use bartpe more often I prefer the "a43" explorer tool. its on the ubcd as well and almost like the windows explorer.

good luck!
mscrx

saspinall said:
I downloaded the ultimate boot cd, burnt it, but which utility do i use to view and modify the filesystem to change the system file which is corrupt?
You need to COPY the registry files from \System Volume Information\... back
to the \Windows\System32\Config directory

Some form of Chkdsk or 'repair' is NOT going to solve your problem :(

yes, thats a good point. either use the .sav file(s) or copy from system volume information. thanks for adding this!

Details:

1) you need to make the directory visible (Use Safe Boot and Take Ownership to
give privs to your ADMIN ID

2) there's a raft of dirs/files locate at
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{uuu-vvv-xx-yyy-zzz} (specific to your machine)

dirs will be RPnn\
Click on Date modified header until they show-up in a LIFO
order (ie most current on top)

Now the issue will be to pick the most current that is not 'contaminated'
a) if you have just simple corruption, this is a non-issue but,
b) if you have been removing virus/trojans you need to pick a date that is
UNLIKELY to have been contaminated

click on the folder RPnn and there's a Snapshot\ there; click on it

you need the files named like
registry_machine_{sam,security,software,system} and registry_user_default

1) copy these five to \windows\system32\config
2) cd to that dir
3) delete or rename the files sam,security,software,system,default
4) rename the registry_xxx_xxx files by striping off the registry_machine_
and the registry_user_ portion of each name.

REBOOT and enjoy

Ok, I'm in to the Bartpe cd but theres absolutely nothing in the Windows\systems32 directory on the C drive. Going to look into it more tonight as Im off to work now. Will have to look into the systems restore points info.
Stu

If the system 32 directory is empty then a restore wont work. A reinstall is your only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back