C:\windows\system32\ config\system, system file not found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Baltan

Hi guys i was wondering if you could help plz. I built a new compute about three months ago. The problem is i went on it today and before i could get anything on the screen this message came up
C:\windows\system32\config\system, system file not found.

Can you guys plz help i would like to keep all the stuff that is on the hard drive if possible.

I can get into safe mode but get the same error, so i was wondering if maybe there was a programe i could use in safe mode to fix it??? I get this error however Isass or Lsass.exe not shure how it is spelt. ( An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function )

Thanxs for your time Baltan

\config\system is your Windows registry. Your computer will not boot without this.

I can get into safe mode but get the same error
You cannot get the same error and successfully boot into Safe Mode... It's a black screen with white text that says ...\config\system missing and that's it. So I dont understand this? Can you describe the error and what it looks like?

If your ..\config\system is really missing, its probably due to data corruption of viruses. You should try to run chkdsk from the Windows Recovery Console and issue the following commands:
Code:
chkdsk /f
Wait for it to scan/repair your file system and see what the results are. Then issue the command:
Code:
copy "C:\Windows\Repair\System" "C:\Windows\System32\config"

If your error message is a pop up box or something else other than an unpassable black screen with white letters, then you probably have some hoax virus. Lsass.exe has often been the **** of viruses, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is caused by one.

The above commands will restore a previous (and hopefully working) copy of your registry.

Ok thanxs for the reply i will try this, and let you know what happens.Oh yeah i had to change the order in which things boot in the bios, it is now as followed 1) cd rom, 2) Hard Disk and 3) CD Rom.

Your help is most greatful.

I will post back as soon as possible.

Baltan

What i meant was i could start the computer in last good knwon configuration that is when i get the Lsasse.exe error.

Just run into a problem before i could even get started, it asks for an administaration password where do i find this?

Baltan

If you have XP Home, 'Administrator' probably has a blank password.
i could start the computer in last good knwon configuration
This essentially does the same thing as the copy "C:\Windows\Repair\System" "C:\Windows\System32\config" command.

If you use LKGC and it boot into safe mode, then that means it worked and your ..\config\system has been restored. But when you restart, the error comes up again and you have to do LKGC again? This probably means something is deleting it. My money would be on a virus.

In safemode, you should get online and visit http://housecall.trendmicro.com for a free virus scan.

Ok cheers for the help. Got is sorted out now. Just another quick question if i have another hard drive with windows xp can i put it into my machine and use it as a second hard drive or will it not let me because ther is an operating system on there.

Baltan

Sure, you can put a second drive with an operating system on it in your computer.

Because of the way computers boot, the BIOS controls what drive boots first and this is independent of Windows. When you install your second drive, take a look at the boot order in your BIOS configuration. As long as you have your master drive set to boot in there, you'll be golden.

Well I installed a fresh copy of windows but kept the existing files and it worked. So i still have all my programs and music ECT.

Baltan

Rick said:
If your error message is a pop up box or something else other than an unpassable black screen with white letters, then you probably have some hoax virus. Lsass.exe has often been the **** of viruses, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is caused by one.

The above commands will restore a previous (and hopefully working) copy of your registry.

How do i make shure that i have fully cleared the Lsass.exe.

Regards Baltan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back