C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile, Could not connect to group policy

By gamerex
Feb 8, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. One day, today, I finally got a reliable wireless link by making a sattalite dish out of aluminum foil. I installed some updates, then restarted, but for some reason, windows couldn't find C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile, so all my desktop had was the recycle bin. No Aero, no start menu shortcuts, and a black hole for a wallpaper. It took me awhile to find out that my computer was trying to connect to the host of my wireless. Of course. acess to the C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile on the host's computer was denied. So I disabled my wireless and I got my desktop back.

Edit: NVM, seems to happen after entering safe mode???

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and how I can avoid it in the future.

edit: YAY MY 50th POST!!!!! WHOO MEMBER NOW!!! |(___(((Crayola(((___||>
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,288   +281

weird. sounds like you have Active Content enabled on the desktop. Turn it off
  3. gamerex

gamerex TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 176

What's active content?
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,288   +281

5. gamerex

gamerex TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 176

Btw, It is the wireless, for whatever reason...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.