C2D Vs P4

Better one?

• Pentium4(ht)3Ghz

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi,

I have a good question wich one is better in game Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz or Pentium4(ht) 3Ghz

Because I got an offer change my P4 to the C2D but im hesitant...

Core2 Duo will be twice as fast even though it is half the frequency. Don't waste your time or money with a P4 period. I once upgraded a Celeron D 352 3.2GHz to a Celeron Dual Core E1200 1.6GHz. I was expecting performance to be equivalent, and was extremely shocked when my performance doubled.

The C2D is better or not? and what is the chipset I need to OC the C2D because I just got an offer to exchange my P4 530 vs a C2D 1.8 I exchange or not?

It is my understanding that is the only option, if you have a locked CPU and cannot over-clock by increasing the multiplier.

For gaming these days, yes, the C2D is faster.

For the sake of being thorough: But for older (read: 8 years+) single-threaded games, the P4 is better as it has twice the clock-speed.

Ok and the Haswell Pentium if I sell all my things exept my Graphic Card and the Box to buy New HDD/MB/CPU/PS
its a good idea or I should go on the C2D?

Ok and the Haswell Pentium if I sell all my things exept my Graphic Card and the Box to buy New HDD/MB/CPU/PS
its a good idea or I should go on the C2D?
As much as I try not to recommend Pentium branded CPU's, the Haswell Pentium would be a giant leap from C2D performance levels. I am all for abandoning LGA775, if at all possible.
Thats not just 2 or 3 times with C2D but nearly 10 times the Passmark score of the P4. And if you ever decide to upgrade to Haswell i5 or i7, the LGA1150 platform will give you the opportunity.

There are a few points that need consideration.
  • The K series is good for over-clocking and generally has better internal graphics. If you are not going to over-clock or use internal graphics, there would be little reason to consider the K series.
  • Some gamers prefer i5 over i7, as games in the past has not been optimized for using Hyper-threading. And the price markup for i7 over i5 can be used elsewhere.
  • Initially if you don't have cash for an i5 or i7, the Pentium series would get you going. I however prefer recommending i3 or better for a final solution.
  • The Z87 chipset makes for an excellent choice in motherboards. However if you don't need all the bells and whistles, the H87 chipset is not that bad either.
In the end the choice is yours. I'm simply trying my best to inform you of a few details.

In that case I'd say go for a Z87 motherboard and you will be ready. Don't forget about Xfire/SLI capabilities when selecting motherboards and case designs.

My opinion is with cliffordcooley on this, you should at least consider an i3 over a Pentium as they are pretty low on the scale. Getting a Z87 board is a smart move if you plan to upgrade later to a haswell chip, but I would recommend an i5 k series if your doing gaming because its just a bit better in the cost effectiveness area.

But in short, try getting a low i3 with the board if you can and then move up later, its night and day performance difference in my book.

Back