Cab Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshlad

Ihave followed some of the great tips given for tweak WinXP and found them great but......I have one problem since doing so - Iam unable to load any programs as I get the message that I can not access the necessary *.cab file - it is as though I do not have the "authority" can you tell what I could have done in the tweak to bring this about - I do not want to have to delete everything and restart......
With thanks

are you logged in with an account that is in the administrators group?

also, when using add/remove programs and it looks for .cab files, you must direct it to the installations files in your i386 folder on your windows xp cd. or if you bought your machine from a store these may be on your hard drive somewhere.

I am loading programs from CD ( Office 2000) onto hard drive - i have administrator rights on machine
as program loads it hits the part looking for cab files - which i know are on the cd - and it stops and asks to check they are on the cd and if I have authority to access
I have previously gone through and "tweaked"system using advice from tweak guide for XP and was wondering if maybe something in there has made this happened to the machine as previously this never happened - trouvble is I don't know what could be the problem

Originally posted by marshlad
I am loading programs from CD ( Office 2000) onto hard drive - i have administrator rights on machine
as program loads it hits the part looking for cab files - which i know are on the cd - and it stops and asks to check they are on the cd and if I have authority to access
I have previously gone through and "tweaked"system using advice from tweak guide for XP and was wondering if maybe something in there has made this happened to the machine as previously this never happened - trouvble is I don't know what could be the problem

It would better if you took us through exactly what you are trying to do, from beginning to end. What do you do? What are U then asked to do? What exact error message do you get?

Also, have you installed any service pack for office???

Please post specifically what happens, click by click. I sense you are just doing something slightly wrong here, thus the problem.

Okay will do just let me try loading the program so I can get the exact message for you - it also happens with another program i just tried too - will be back shortly

Okay step by step
Cd into player use autorun to start
Go through entering all details required
program start to load then gets to a point that I get the following message

ERROR 1311 Source file not found O:\Office1.cab Verify that the file exists and that you can access it

Yes the file does exist it is on the cd and I have also found it loaded onto my harddrive in my temp file

does this help

that's beginning to sound like you have a corrupted CD, or a CD which your machine cannot read. What happens if you copy the whole CD to your hard drive, and then try to run setup.exe from there???

Is that the same drive you installed Office from? If not it will give that error. I had it happen once when I installed office, then added some drives, which changed the drive letters, then went to install a service pack which asked me to insert the CD. I uninstalled and removed Office, then reinstalled it and installed the SP with no problems.

It is also very possible that the disc is corrupt as Phant pointed out.

Your idea worked - I loded CD onto the harddrive and program loaded perfectly - but can you tell me why it wouldn't work from the CD - is there any easy reason
My CD player is brand new and has loaded this program before with no trouble
Thanks for the help - I actually have another problem that you could possible help me with and that is I have lost my sound
I have power to speakers
I have onboard sound and it is activated in the bois Ihave a VIA Apollo KT400 series motherboard running Avance 97 Audio Codec and I have the latest drivers
I do have windows sound
I did have sound
I have loaded a scanner
there are no conflicts showing in Device manager
Any ideas

That's pretty wierd, though I can't think of anything in our XP guide that would do that. The closest I have is changing the dllcache folder location but that wouldn't affect CD installations like that.

The office1.cab file is full of several zipped files...
I had Proplus.msi trouble until copied my CD onto my HDD...
I tried leading 'it' to my CD drive with the disk in it and it didn't work...
I've since put a zipped & unzipped version of Proplus on my webpage for others to access...

http://www.billynda.com/serv01.htm

I'm here looking for a way for to get office1.cab to someone else...

Thanks a lot Billynda. I also was facing this problem of proplus.msi and later the office1.cab. I got the Proplus.msi from your site and I downloaded the office1.cab from P2P. And now its working fine. Is there any way I can upload the office1.cab anywhere so that people can download it? The size of the CAB file is approx 214 MB.

office1.cab

I have a new website ... more space...
Office1.cab is here for download...
www.billynda.com/downloads.htm

manu_the_menace said:
Thanks a lot Billynda. I also was facing this problem of proplus.msi and later the office1.cab. I got the Proplus.msi from your site and I downloaded the office1.cab from P2P. And now its working fine. Is there any way I can upload the office1.cab anywhere so that people can download it? The size of the CAB file is approx 214 MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back