TechSpot

Cable modem holding back.

By imstilllearning
Mar 7, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just don't get it,

My high speed connection is downloading @ 700kb per second on a good day.
    My online gaming seems good but I have lag problems every blue moon.
    So I go to cnet.com and test my bandwidth:

3957.3 Kbps - You 3957.3 kbps

???????
    I'm paying 45$ a month (I know it's alot) for charter high speed 5 meg cable and I would be happy if it did more,what could be holding it back?Howard Hopkins already helped me clean my computer and registry.

I understand alot depends on whom my connection is getting it's data from but couldn't I do better than 500kb per second average?

Thanks for listening you people are always a relief when helping me.

James
  2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,659   +84

3. imstilllearning

imstilllearning TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 43

Strange (to me)

Ok I ran the test:

1st test @ 741 kbps
    2nd test@ 680kbps
    3rd test @ 3.8 megabits per second
    Storage 466.7 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 2.2 seconds
    Subjective rating Awesome

P.S. I'm only running 1 PC from the modem, no home network.

What would you recommend I do? I've downloaded your power pack so it's ready to use.

Thanks,
    James
  4. tipstir

Your speed is about right on target for 5M. I use to have that when I was on DSL well I had 6 I was getting 5M. Now with cable mine is going to offer speed booster for Cable Tier 1 users like me. That will make it 20M download

The test above you got where the connection results. You could try speedeasy.net and see how you do. But a lot depends on your connection. The tweaks will help you solve some riddles in the way Microsoft has limited bandwidth and Buffers for all versions of Windows Client and Server OS.

My tweaks also help improve your home LAN when you setup one with more than one PC. My goal too be able to connect to A to B PC in just a few secs or less when moving huge files around the house. Tested on 100TX Full Duplex. Wireless can use some settings also as I have tested those functions.

James,

What do you want to do?

Primary for Download?
    Secondary for Play Games online?

You're all set, when your cable company offers higher speeds you'll be ready to go...
  5. imstilllearning

Thanks

Well I'm using your registry tweaks and I must admit my connections have more spring in their step.
    I think I'll leave it like this for now and be patient because apparently charter is going to install fiber optic lines here in place of our digital.
    Living in a university town that should help with our ISP congestion,eliminating my mid day download slump.

Thanks again,
    James
  6. imstilllearning

Btw

Well I've conformed since talking with you that charter is going to replace our lines with fiber optic cables totally,

Tell me more about this 20M booster your Isp is offering.

I assume cable tier 1 is achieved by bill payment for a specific time?
  7. tipstir

I have COX Tier 1 it's expensive no it's a monthly charge, but downloads are extremely fast rated 15M but in my case it's 17.8M is what I last clock it at. From the poll to my house the line was changed well I never had one so it higher than normal so that right there has improve the speed all connections in the house is all new.

I will get there 20M+ Speed Booster when it's available...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.