cable modem/wireless confusion........!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreux456

here's my problem. my desktop is connected to the internet thru a cable modem. I tried putting a wireless router in the mix but nothing will work, including the desktop. my laptop shows a connection but I cannot access the internet, wireless or RJ45. same with the desktop. I'm connecting the router between the cable modem and desktop tower, which is per the instructions. I tried modifying the router but ad no luck. the router is a chiefmax 802.11b wireless router for DSL of cable modem. thanks in advance.

You'll need to call your internet provider and get them to run you through all the settings that you will need. Just ask them to run you through it step by step - theyre usually pretty good.

Regards,

Korrupt

You (possibly) need to configure your router. There's tons of posts regarding this.

If you know how to configure your router for your Internet service and it still not working, be aware that many cable ISPs employ MAC filtering. The original device is the only device that can connect to your modem and it determines this based on your device's MAC address. Most routers have a feature that can clone your computer's MAC address so it appears to your cable company that your computer is still connected, even though it is actually your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back