Caldera DR-DOS on AMD athlon 64 3000+

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

I have used Drive Image 2002 and Partition Magic 8 for a long time, but lately it will often not load the underlying Caldera Dr-Dos system, which it should after unloading XP home. I would be happy to run Drive Image 2002 from a floppy disk, but at the moment I get errors on loading Dr-Dos which vary from illegal Opcode to a20 line not found.

I am pretty sure this has to do with the different hardware in AMD 64 processor, and that I can get round it with parameters on the config.sys - but there are a lot of possibilities.

Can anyone point me to a likely set of parameters so I can get on with my drive imaging?

You can give an /A20CONTROL:OFF parameter to himem.sys (if such a thing is loaded in the config.sys). Other than that, there's nothing you can do to help Caldera.

You can use any other DOS boot floppy to run Drive Image.

near enough - working

Thanks, Nodsu. Not quite correct, but near enough to get me past the problem.

The key was to rem out EMM386. Then you get a warning that 'cannot control A20 line' which it seems safe to ignore. The parameter for HIMEM.SYS is /GATEA20=type, where type can be AT,XMS,HP,MCA Tried AT which seemed likely, and I get 'warning A20 line already enabled'. Ho, hum.

You WERE correct that a Win98 dos floppy will run Drive Image (I fully expected 'wrong Dos version', but it worked). To get that running well I would also need to find the mouse driver etc etc, and can't be entirely happy that dear old MS Dos would cope with NTFS partitions. Probably does a sector by sector copy anyway, but I'd rather not find problems the hard way.

Cheers !

Use the mouse.com +ini attached here. Put them on the first floppy, and call it up in autoexec.bat with a line containing only mouse.
And it's not DOS that copes with NTFS but DriveImage's own software.

Rename the *.txt files to MOUSE.COM and MOUSE.INI first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back