TechSpot

'Call of Duty: Black Ops III' was the best-selling game of 2015

By Shawn Knight
Jan 15, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. The Call of Duty franchise may be long in the tooth but gamers apparently can't get enough. Call of Duty: Black Ops III beat out all others to become the best-selling game of 2015 according to a report from market research firm NPD Group.

In North America, Call of Duty has been the top-selling franchise for seven years in a row. That doesn't mean a Call of Duty game has topped the charts each of those years. Grand Theft Auto V, for example, took that crown in 2013. Either way, it's a nod to the game's incredible staying power.

The feat is even more impressive considering Black Ops III didn't launch until November 6, giving it less than two full months to outpace all other games on the year. Scott Lowe, Activision Communications Manager, said the Call of Duty franchise has sold more than 250 million units to date.

Madden NFL 16 finished in second place followed by Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront and Grand Theft Auto V. Rounding out the top 10 is NBA 2K16, Minecraft, Mortal Kombat X, FIFA 16 and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

Interestingly enough, sales in the video game industry - physical software, hardware and accessories - were flat year-over year with the NPD Group reporting a 1.5 percent slide in sales for the month of December.

Permalink to story.

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,549   +852

Are they just counting units sent to retailers again?

Also call of duty has now just morphed into a wierd Titanfall/sci fi incredibly generic game series it seems.

3. 3volv3d

3volv3d TS Booster Posts: 134   +51

And it comes as no surprise that the number of sheople increased this year as it will next.

At least we know what's on the menu when the apocalypse comes. What wine goes with Lame.

H3llion, Nobina and LiveResistance like this.
  4. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,455   +606

Mountain Dew, Doritos and Online CoD. Does it get any better for a spoiled disrespectful, undisciplined, pussified, trash talking troll of a teenager?

Arris, darkzelda, 3volv3d and 3 others like this.
  5. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

I've not been interested in the title myself. But I've seen many young boys from 9 - 17 who are very interested in it. I don't know the demographics of the game or it's addictive qualities, but I'd guess that Activision has figured out their customer quite well in this one.

6. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +273

The majority supposedly voted for Obama as well... this just further proves that people are suckers. Falling for the same crap again and again.

LiveResistance likes this.
  7. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

So what was the top ten list for PC games only? You throw consoles into the mix and you're going to get a completely different (young) demographic than your run-of-the-mill PC gamer.

8. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,660   +767

What a shame we again didn't see Half Life 3 ..... no doubt that would have topped the charts!

9. LiveResistance

LiveResistance TS Booster Posts: 85   +64

I agree.

10. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,648   +521

And this concludes another year with a horrible video game being awarded the number one selling position because people have no taste, are desperate to kill each other, rage and be otherwise violent and unpleasant individuals.

I'd like a year without a CoD game for a change, you know just skip 2016 and don't release anything, the fan boys would be livid, and I'd be amused.

11. Thorney

Thorney TS Member Posts: 23   +7

This is Steams top 10 for 2015 so wont be far out from the overall

1 Grand Theft Auto 5
    2 Fallout 4
    3 Metal Gear Solid 5
    4 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    5 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    6 Rocket League
    7 Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
    8 Mad Max
    9 Mortal Kombat X
    10 Elite Dangerous

12. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD TS Enthusiast Posts: 41   +17

"Call of Duty has been the top-selling franchise for seven years in a row."

"Grand Theft Auto V [...] took that crown in 2013."

Contradictory!

13. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,549   +852

No, its not. the author clarifies. While collectively call of duty has been the top selling franchise for 7 years, GTA was the top selling GAME of 2013.

14. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +162

Whats really funny are the people who think own side is any better then the other. Both are bought by whoever gives them legal bribes via campaign contributions and lobbying dollars. Instead of parroting your local news station, try to think for yourself.

Call of duty is now the boy band of games, every new generation takes a bite.

Arris likes this.
  15. Gingercus

Gingercus TS Rookie

I happen to enjoy COD, mute everyone in the game and play it for fun .

treetops likes this.
  16. DKRON

DKRON TS Guru Posts: 567   +25

Still wont work with 21:9, guess we will be waiting till around august for that to be patched again....

wastedkill likes this.
  17. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +162

I don't know why I rag on it, its just so old, I get tired of the same game over and over. Then again if it was a game I loved, like diablo 2 I'd welcome a new content every 6 months. Your lucky, enjoy it.

Gingercus likes this.