Call of Duty: Ghosts is official, heading to next generation Xbox

Shawn Knight

Staff member

As predicted earlier this week, Activision and Infinity Ward made the next game in the Call of Duty franchise official earlier today. Call of Duty: Ghosts was jointly announced via Twitter alongside the launch of a Facebook fan page and a teaser trailer posted on YouTube.

Details are still pretty scarce at this hour but we do know the title will be headed to Microsoft’s next generation console. That’s because at the end of the trailer, viewers are invited to tune in to the May 21 Xbox reveal to see a live demo of the game. Although it hasn’t been announced yet, it’s a safe bet to say that Ghosts is also heading to the PlayStation 4 in addition to current generation consoles.

The trailer doesn’t show any gameplay footage but it does give viewers a look at what is likely the main protagonist. At the end of the clip, a man – perhaps known as Ghost? – is shown briefly before pulling a mask down over his face.

Amazon and GameStop are already accepting pre-orders for the game which is expected to launch on November 5, 2013 – in line with previous Call of Duty games. At present, the game is only available to pre-order for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and the PC. We expect the new Xbox to be added to that list in a few weeks. It’s anyone’s guess as to when pre-orders for the PS4 version will open, however.

Permalink to story.

Ghost is one of the recurring SAS character. He has the white skull on the ski mask.

I don't like the call of duty franchise. But if they take advantage of pc graphic cards I will take a serious look.

I'd bet it's the same dated game engine pushed to the limit for the next-gen console compared to the previous release that was pushed to the limit for the current console. And around they go to rake in millions and snatch GOTY awards.

It better be DirectX 11. Can't imagine why it wouldn't. Cod is the biggest title in gaming as much as it pains me to say it. It would only make sense that it would showcase all the abilities of the Xbox. I do have a feeling though that even if the 720 has a dx11 card it still won't be powerful enough to take advantage of all dx 11 features. I don't care how efficiently you can code for it, it just isn't that powerful.

No thanks I'll stick with my current gen PC which already outshines the next gen consoles. i7 @ 4.5, 16gb ram, 2 x gtx 680s in sli 4gb each, 2560 x 1600 display.

I don't like the call of duty franchise. But if they take advantage of pc graphic cards I will take a serious look.
It may have destruction, but it doesnt mean DX11, just like Battlefield: Bad Company 2:
It better be DirectX 11. Can't imagine why it wouldn't. Cod is the biggest title in gaming as much as it pains me to say it. It would only make sense that it would showcase all the abilities of the Xbox. I do have a feeling though that even if the 720 has a dx11 card it still won't be powerful enough to take advantage of all dx 11 features. I don't care how efficiently you can code for it, it just isn't that powerful.

No thanks I'll stick with my current gen PC which already outshines the next gen consoles. i7 @ 4.5, 16gb ram, 2 x gtx 680s in sli 4gb each, 2560 x 1600 display.
Plus 60FPS @ 1080P vs the next gen consoles' 30fps @ 1080P.

Another COD I won't play, brilliant!
Yeah, BO2 isnt fun anymore. The first few months were fun, but then it went downhill fast. This is the same with all cods. They are released and are fun, but then they go downhill. It will be the same with Ghost probably. I still enjoy MW2 and MW3 though, they are just too hacked.

I was wondering when you'd remind me of your specs! I haven't seen them in a long time.

JC713 I thought BC2 did run in DX11 mode? Although not with very many DX11 implementations.

I was wondering when you'd remind me of your specs! I haven't seen them in a long time.

JC713 I thought BC2 did run in DX11 mode? Although not with very many DX11 implementations.
Some people didnt have the hardware for DX11, so it wasnt widely used, but you are right! My bad.

Back