Call of Duty: Ghosts patch adds e-sports features, lowers RAM requirement

Russ Boswell

A seemingly unexpected patch has made its way to Call of Duty: Ghosts. The newest update adds some unique e-sports features and tones down the minimum computing requirements to enjoy multiplayer matches. 

The new base RAM requirement for Ghosts' multiplayer mode has been set at 4GB, down from the original 6GB. Infinity Ward will be releasing its official patch notes later today, but as of now we aren't exactly sure where the "downgrade" is coming from. Regardless of the reasoning this is definitely welcome news to gamers who wish to get in on the action but don't have access to a powerful PC. 

Dedicated CoD gamers also pointed out some new e-sport features. These were expected to drop sometime during the next MLG Championship, but have made a surprising early appearance as part of the new update. Search & Destroy and Blitz seem to be the only two game types affected by the upgrade at this time. You will now find some hard-coded rule sets for these modes, allowing you to set weapon, perk, and equipment restrictions in private matches. 

In addition to these rule sets, you'll also get a "Broadcaster" mode, which offers some unique camera views and video recording options. Currently, the mode allows for first-person, third-person, and over-the-shoulder views. The 400MB+ patch is now available for download on Steam. 

Permalink to story.

"The new base RAM requirement for Ghosts' multiplayer mode has been set at 4GB, down from the original 6GB. Infinity Ward will be releasing its official patch notes later today, but as of now we aren't exactly sure where the "downgrade" is coming from."

Gamers were angered when they were greeted by an error message, saying: "Your system memory (RAM) does not meet the minimum specification for running Call of Duty: Ghosts," IBTimes reported.

The inability to run the game on PC made them take to gaming forums and social websites, like NeoGAF and Reddit. Later a 'RAM fix' workaround was developed by game modders, which removed the minimum RAM requirement.

Though this tool allowed gamers to remove the restriction and run the game, it was only applicable for the Single-player mode, DSOGaming reported.

Master 131, another modder, now developed a fix to the issue and released a new tool that unlocks RAM requirement in both Single-player and Multiplayer mode, without causing any alteration in the game's executable files.

The ram requirement is still 2gb over what the game actually uses and where is the performance improvement patches? I think we need around 20gb worth to make the game playable.

This was clearly Activision hoping people would go "omg it needs such high specs to run! it will look soo good!" when in reality it was just Modern Warfare with a lick of paint and whatever they've added in the games since.

Nice try Activision, but PC gamers are NOT console gamers, we are not stupid and can use task manager to see the game only takes around 2GB...

This was clearly Activision hoping people would go "omg it needs such high specs to run! it will look soo good!" when in reality it was just Modern Warfare with a lick of paint and whatever they've added in the games since.

Nice try Activision, but PC gamers are NOT console gamers, we are not stupid and can use task manager to see the game only takes around 2GB...

Let's not forget big boy toys like ProcMon, Process Explorer, etc...

What does being a console gamer have to do with this at all? Totally unnecessary comment, and anyone thinking that being a PC gamer makes them superior needs to get out, experience real life, and get some perspective. Gaming is a hobby for fun, not a self-actualizing life achievement.

What does being a console gamer have to do with this at all? Totally unnecessary comment, and anyone thinking that being a PC gamer makes them superior needs to get out, experience real life, and get some perspective. Gaming is a hobby for fun, not a self-actualizing life achievement.

I wasn't saying PC gamers were superior at all, I was alluding to the fact PC Gamers are exactly that, NOT console gamers, we have task manager, we can see the resources the game uses and how it all works, By putting on artificial limits just seemingly makes them look extremely stupid (Activision that is for clarity) and to top it off they are actually patching it to prove that it was artificial, it proves more they really do not know what PC gamers are, we don't take kindly being lied to and treated as if we are stupid, as per my original post I bet they were hoping to get a bit of a "wow" factor out of the high requirements from the PC Gamers, to be fair it partially worked, lots of websites reported on it, essentially free advertising and exposure.

I don't think Burty is implying that console gamers are stupid. More or less what I think he/she is saying is that because PC gamers have a more advanced toolset we're able to clearly see what the game is actually using, and it's insulting that Activision would think that we're too stupid not to notice that the game isn't actually using 6GB of ram.

Back