Call of duty LAG SPIKES every 2 1/2 seconds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerman

I am getting lag spikes for call of duty and UO every 2 1/2 seconds. I need help determining the problem and finding a fix. I don't even need to be in a game to get the lag; I could be in the main menu, and the game mouse 'freezes' for about a second and 2 1/2 seconds later, it happens again. I have a Pentium D Dual core processor (2- 3.6 ghz) and 2GB of RAM. I'm thinking it has something to do with the 2 processors and compatibility. Also, I used to play this game on the same computer a while back (like 6 months ago) with no such problems. I stopped playing it for a while, and when I start it up yesterday, I get said lag spikes. I forgot to add; My video card is Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT/GTO

If any additional information is needed, just ask. Thanks.

sounds like background processes/programs. Disable ALL antispyware and AV, and anything like Bellsouth Call waiting.

Good luck.

P.S. You may try this. Start playing the game and use CTRL+ALT+DEL, then open up the processes tab, and right click the process for the game. You should be able to set how many cores it uses there, but I still don't know much about multi-cores.

No I doubt it has to do with background processes, because other games work fine and smooth, like call of duty 2 or battlefield 2 on full graphics. Also I've put call of duty on lowest graphics with the same result. I always close most programs before starting anyway. Also can you be more specific on how to check how many cores are shown for the game windows task manager?

check the drivers. make sure you're fully up to date. and also, check to see if maybe you have a virus despite the AV. virsuses tend to cause lag problems in games. check to see if your page file is large enough. if it isn't, make it bigger obviously. i set aside a full 5 gigs of page file just to make things run smoothly.

if none of that works, check and see if an uninstall, reinstall works. sometimes uninstalling it and deleting the registry item can help resolve any conflicts in the configs or any other anomalies like weird mods you might have downloaded going into a tweaked multiplayer room.

i play CoD2 and i've experienced all kinds of weird graphics anomalies because of downloading mods to enter certain rooms. i once had to deal with germans that were missing their heads, or were completely invisible. an uninstall/reinstall fixed that after i got rid of the registry item.

if you need further details or explanations on how to do any of the aforementioned, all you need do is feel free and ask.

It does have to do with your dual core processors.
There is a dual core patch fix for CoD2 but i dont think there is one for regular CoD. Looks like your gonna have to upgrade to CoD2 hell even CoD4.

please, if anyone has a solution, help me out. I could be wrong about it being something about my dual core. In game, I set affinity of Call of duty to one processor, with little effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back