Cambridge Soundwords FPS2000 Power Plug/Jack Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 Power Plug/Jack Problem

My subwoofer seems to not be recieving power from the cable. It's gradually spiraled downward, at first my subwoofer would cut out sometimes, but if I jiggled the plug around a little it worked, then it started doing it more and more. Until it got to the point where the speakers would not work unless I took a piece of tape, applied it under the subwoofer, looped it over the power plug, pull it down as far as it would go, then reattach it under the subwoofer again, which holds the power plug down. That worked for about a week. Now, it won't work at all. I've tried almost everything, aluminum foil, tape, etc., thinking it to be a problem with the contacts. Apparently it's not...Nothing works.
I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem, or has some kind of solution for it!
P.S. -> I still have warranty coverage on it, I've only had them for 10 months, on a one-year warranty.

Thanks!

I'd agree that it is the contacts. Since the Warranty is still good, you might be more comfortable going that route, personally I'd check the continuity then resolder any bad connections.

I would resolder it, but the problem is that I have no accessibility whatsoever to behind the panel where the jack is. I can take off the front part, but that only exposes the giant subwoofer itself, the back of the panel is covered by a plastic, well, cover :dead:

Resoldering it will void your warranty in itself. I have never taken one of those apart in particular but if you can remove the front to get to the subwoofer, then can you remove the subwoofer?
It should be attached by screws. If you can remove it and disconnect it, you should be able to the connections from there.

Seeing that the problem is most likely covered by the warranty, you might want to contact the manufacturer.

A good thing to remember when dealing with any electronics is that removing the case, or back panel or opening it in any way will most likely void the warranty. Some companies put a label across the seam that separates when removed to tell if it has been opened.

The problem isn't within the subwoofer itself, it's the front panel that's causing problems.
There was no "if this sticker is broken your warranty will be voided" sticker on it, only on my power supply. I won't tell them I opened it, and they have no way to tell how :D
All of the jacks are on the front panel of the subwoofer I have. It's all in there.

I dunno, i've had the FPS2000 for a while now, maybe a year and a half or so, since they were brand new (/me remembers paying $249 for them) I haven't had a problem with mine yet, they serve me well, just wish the subwoofer was bigger since I LOVE bass.

Originally posted by Vehementi
The problem isn't within the subwoofer itself, it's the front panel that's causing problems.
There was no "if this sticker is broken your warranty will be voided" sticker on it, only on my power supply. I won't tell them I opened it, and they have no way to tell how :D
All of the jacks are on the front panel of the subwoofer I have. It's all in there.

I was just saying that some things have those stickers and some don't. Most people learn their purpose when they peel them off to reveal the word "VOID". I just thought I'd mention it.

The reason for removing the subwoofer from the box was to try to get behind it to try to access the panel from behind it since you said you couldn't get to it any other way.

Did you by chance measure the size of the sub in there? I'm curious, its probably like a 6 or something. What a beast! :D

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
Did you by chance measure the size of the sub in there? I'm curious, its probably like a 6 or something. What a beast! :D

5.25inch to be exact (25Watts RMS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back