Camcorder info

By ptitterington
Oct 20, 2002
  1. I am seriously thinking about buying a digital camcorder but am having trouble finding info about what I will need, Manufactures are good at telling the plus points but not the negative.

Ideally I will be taking family pics to keep and embaress the kids when they are older.

I have a 4yr old simy 8mm hi8 analog which works fine but it is a pain transferring to video, any editing and without purchasing more kit I cannot put on PC.

The new camcorders appear to be compact and able to take stills.
    Any recommendations. The Canon MV500/500i look suitable.
    Will i need to buy 3rd party editing software of is the Movimaker in xp useable.
    What method of transfer should I be looking at I do not have firewire or usb2. Is this necessary?

Anyone with experience bad or good your comments appreciated.
    I have seen some very compressed filming transferred onto cd and the quality was still better than my analogue camcorder.

I posted here because I presumed Video/audio was more card orientated.
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

One thing I usually do when I want to buy a new technology product is register at
    It is only 3 dollars a month and you can research the good the bad and the ugly about a lot of things. Just what I do.
    I don't have a digital camera I can recommend you however, but this might help make your decision.
  3. ptitterington

ptitterington TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 255

thanks Ill look at that:grinthumb
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Post back as to whether it was helpful or not. So others might see the value of it so they can weigh their options better.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.