Can a CPU just die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedonk3

Hi guys, Just attempted to fit a GF4 Ti4400 in my system and it has given me loads of problems... now my system won't boot at all. Have a feeling that the CPU (1 Gig Athlon Axia @ 1333) may have given up the ghost for some reason (have just tried it in my works PC and it ain't havin it). Could the strain from the GeForce 4 (it worked in 2d but locked and killed the system when trying 3d) have finished off my CPU? Or could the fact that I tried the fail-safe defaults in the BIOS have caused the CPU problems after it had been running overclocked for 10 months?

Also is it definate that AMD will be dropping XP prices on Monday? and if so by how much on say a 2000? Coz if its worthwhile I won't bother ordering 1 today.

Would appreciate any of your thoughts...

Cheers

Does it work with your old videocard in it?

CPU's can just die... Mine did.

Since you're overclocking your CPU soo much (1/3 faster...) it's not really surprising.

It's quite odd when it dies right as the new vidcard is installed...

Perhaps your power supply is too low wattage for those two components, since usually o/cing takes alot of wattage, and I'm sure the card is a pig.

A modern CPU is a very complex piece of technology.

Despite the fact they very often do survive the trip from Taiwan or wherever, maybe yours did not.

If possible seek refund / return.

I'm pretty sure a refund is out of the question, he has overclocked it which is probably what killed it, if he didn't have sufficient cooling it probably overheated. Although, I would tend to look toward the PSU if the system will work without the Video-card.

What exactly happens when you power on the system? do you hear any beeps? do the fans and LEDs come on? Does it perform POST? can you access the BIOS?

Originally posted by Phantasm66
A modern CPU is a very complex piece of technology.

Despite the fact they very often do survive the trip from Taiwan or wherever, maybe yours did not.

If possible seek refund / return.

Wouldn't Overclocking make the warranty invalid anyway? And why would they want it back after 10 months?

Originally posted by Tedman

Wouldn't Overclocking make the warranty invalid anyway? And why would they want it back after 10 months?

But they will very likely not be able to tell that the CPU was over clocked without some very sophisticated analysis. Its likely that it would just be dubbed a burn out and replaced....

....if still under warranty....

oh... wait... of course he unlocked the bridges... in that case forget it. You have lost your money.... :(

Tis dead :-(

Thanks for the thoughts guys.... borrowed a 900 Duron from a pc at work last night and it worked fine in my system. (Didnt really do the GF4 Ti4400 much justice... hehehe!) So its RIP Athlon! Ive had it in my system at 1333 for over 12 months I think, so its doesnt owe me anything to be honest. Guess the Geforce 4 (or lack of wattage!) just pushed it too far! Bought a better brand PSU yesterday aswell to get a more stable wattage.
So its onwards and upwards to the land of the XP... was really trying to hang on for the thoroughbred core but I guess I have no choice now!!!

Cheers

Can't you hold on to that Duron for a little more ?

The TBred is really just around the corner. If you can't wait that long, at least wait for next week, the AthlonXPs are gonna get a pretty big price drop.

You might not want to put that Athlon in the ground just yet. Have you tried it with the new PSU? How bout without the Vid-Card? That Duron draws less power than that Athlon. As you may or may not know, a CPU is made up of millions of transistors, it takes a certain voltage to bias a transistor(this is like a valve which requires a certain presure to turn it on) if you aren't supplying the required bias voltage(as a rule silicon transistors require approx .7v) then the CPU will appear dead. Although the first assumption could also be true that the overclocked CPU had simply degraded to a saturated state and just happened to die when you added the Video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back