Can a damaged VideoCard cause a system reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eedarf

I built my first computer and, knowing nothing of powersupplies, ran a 400w supply to a GeForce 9700 OTX on a A8N32-SLI mobo with an AMD 4800+ processor. Needless to add, it burned out. I replaced it with a 680w supply, but now, on occasion I lose complete video signal. And just now, I lost video and the computer rebooted. It sound like it tried a couple times to reboot or something clicking, but what does that mean? I'm to the point where I'd rather not turn the computer on again without a fullproof solution.

Newegg won't accept the video card in a return, because I don't have the box. I have everything but the box. It's stupid... Will Nvidia take it back without the box?

it's possibly that the video card could be the problem but did you check the temperatures of the system? Vid Card temp and CPU temp to high is the most common problem for resets.

Casually the temperature stays around 39-41c. I've never seen the temperature when it crashed before the last time as I was always playing Oblivion.

How would I check the Video Card's temperature?

The first time it happened, I took the card out and the heatsink on the beast was almost hot enough to blister, I assume that has something to say. What does Nvidia say about burned out boards?

Well Vid card temp offen go High..very high..try replacing the heatsink with a PRO one..a high end vid card cooler. Sry don't know if nVidia takes back damaged cards.

The heatsink is firmly attached to the card, no replacing. I guess I need to swap it. I have no other cards unfortunately...

Anyone have a BFG GeForce7900 OTC box, I'll buy it from you for 20 bucks.

When you say firmly attached, what do you mean? You should be able to take off the Heatsink.

And remeber a hot heatsink is not always a bad thing. It can mean that the heatsink is doing its job.
I did have a card the I burned out (OCing) that had the exact problems as you, so it does not look good. Why dont you buy another card, and then stick the old card into the box and RMA for a refund. Might lose a few bucks (restocking fees, shipping) but you come out a winner.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it, as long as the popular consensus is that it is infact a broken video card and dangerous to the rest of my components... Correct?

I'd thought about buying another, but they're back ordered. I don't have 500 dollars anymore, either...

But thanks.

eazy_duz_em said:
it's possibly that the video card could be the problem but did you check the temperatures of the system? Vid Card temp and CPU temp to high is the most common problem for resets.

How hot is too hot?

nea most of the cards work around 70C so i don't think it's a problem, usually vid cards freezes when temps are too high.

Card------------Temperature in idle---------------Temperature at 100% load
GeForce 7600 GT---------39----------------------------------65
GeForce 7900 GT---------42----------------------------------68
GeForce 7900 GTX -------44----------------------------------73

but it can go higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back