Can a pair of hands do the same job as this $400 juicer?

midian182

Staff member

A $400 juicer that helped a hardware startup raise $120 million in funding last year is facing criticism and mockery after it was discovered the machine doesn’t perform its sole function much better than a pair of human hands.

Owners of Juicero, which originally cost $700, must subscribe to the company’s $5 to $8 service in order to receive its proprietary juice bags, which aren’t available anywhere else. The juicer cold-presses the packages with four tons of force, resulting in a delicious, healthy beverage, apparently.

However, it seems the chopped up fruit and veg contained in the juice bags arrive at customers’ homes in a state already close to pre-pressed juice. Worst of all, some investors discovered that the expensive machine isn’t even required to empty them; almost the same amount of juice can be extracted simply by squeezing the packages by hand.

Bloomberg reporters tested the claims and found they were “able to wring 7.5 ounces of juice in a minute and a half. The machine yielded 8 ounces in about two minutes.”

Defending its machine, a person close to the Juicero Inc. company said it was aware the packs could be emptied by hand, but using the device is more consistent and less messy. It also contains a QR scanner which, in addition to making sure only the proprietary juice bags are pressed, checks them against an online database to ensure there have been no recalls and the contents haven’t expired.

Bloomberg does note that despite the findings, Juicero is proving popular among high-end hotels and restaurants, where it costs $1200 because of the premium charged to businesses. All seven companies that use the machines said they like it because the packs are easily disposed of and require minimum cleanup.

Permalink to story.

Funny, you can do the same thing with a $25 high speed blender and your own fruits ..... people are sooooo gullible!
I laughed when I saw and read this. A plastic machine capable of exerting 4 tons of pressure??? What miracle plastic have they accidentally stumbled across. Expect to see this company declaring insolvency by next month, if it takes that long.
You're right though, ANYBODY can be gullible and caught out by a con but this one is so obvious yet some (reasonably intelligent people) failed to see it. It's incomprehensible.

Funny, you can do the same thing with a $25 high speed blender and your own fruits ..... people are sooooo gullible!
Weeeeeeeeeeeell......... there is a difference between blending and juicing. But that's out of the topic.

Still, a juicer is cheap, a great one though not so much and there are a lot waaaay more expensive, reason why it must be so popular with hotels and high end stuff, the less maintenance and cleanup involved the better, they don't have to worry about expiry dates and decomposed fruit and veggies and they can rest assured if there is anything like a lawsuit for someone getting sick from the juice can go to the company instead.

I wouldn't buy one though, it's crazy.
people are sooooo gullible!
Yes they are, although not everyone for the same reason.

How can this product be called a juicer??? The juicing has already happened in the factory. Just go buy some juice instead of this this scam.

Oh boy, this is gonna take a while

"resulting in a delicious, healthy beverage, apparently."
......... east your damned fruit/veg, its healthier. enough said.

People who buy such things do it because they are lazy not because the machine can do it better. I am lazy, I realize that, I don't BS myself, that's why I got a juicer. Otherwise you would do it the old way with your hands and get some exercise for your wrists while making a lemonade.

"It also contains a QR scanner which, in addition to making sure only the proprietary juice bags are pressed, checks them against an online database to ensure there have been no recalls and the contents haven’t expired."
That I can accept. People are so lazy they might die or simply suffer from consuming expired food because they didnt waste 5seconds checking expiration or stopped when they thought "hey, this doesn't taste right. Bah I'm gonna drink it". It is true and really REALLY sad....

"Bloomberg does note that despite the findings, Juicero is proving popular among high-end hotels and restaurants, where it costs $1200 because of the premium charged to businesses. All seven companies that use the machines said they like it because the packs are easily disposed of and require minimum cleanup."
This is the biggest issue. It is obvious such product is really suitable for hotels. It looks nice and expensive and clients of hotels would like to feel pampered with something that do the squeezing instead of them. EVERYONE ELSE get something cheaper for crying out loud.

I prefer the way to make REAL juice.....buy the items you need at a produce department, cut and process them yourself! Buying some crap in a bag is STUPID - unless you're extremely lazy.

Back