Can all-in-ones be used without a computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a thing as a truly standalone scanner, or all-in-one scanner/printer/copier? I want to scan original art but instead of scanning the file directly to a computer application I want to save the raw scan file on an SD card so that I can use the scanner away from my computer. I thought that the currently popular all-in-ones would do this, but after a little reality checking I found they apparently don't work this way. Everyone tells me all-in-ones will work only by connecting them to a computer (which makes me not see a lot of advantage in them).

Barring SD card output, maybe I can use an all-in-one as a copier to copy the art, and at least make direct prints of it...although I would be concerned about the quality involved.

Can anyone advise me if, indeed, there is a way (unbeknownst to big-box store sales clerks) that I could use an all-in-one straight out of the box at the South Pole, saving scan files to an SD card?

To my knowledge, the scenario you have mentioned is impossible. All in one's etc. can print without a pc, but I've never heard of one that can save scans to memory card- without a pc. It would require a bit of setting up (ie. possibly hanging the art on a well-lit wall, and using a tripod to centre the camera nicely), but your simplest solution is probably just to get yourself a new 10 or 12 mega-pixel digital camera, and take nice high-res raw photo's of the art.

Yes some can, I think

Squished Ant said:
Is there such a thing as a truly standalone scanner, or all-in-one scanner/printer/copier? I want to scan original art but instead of scanning the file directly to a computer application I want to save the raw scan file on an SD card so that I can use the scanner away from my computer. I thought that the currently popular all-in-ones would do this, but after a little reality checking I found they apparently don't work this way. Everyone tells me all-in-ones will work only by connecting them to a computer (which makes me not see a lot of advantage in them).

Barring SD card output, maybe I can use an all-in-one as a copier to copy the art, and at least make direct prints of it...although I would be concerned about the quality involved.

Can anyone advise me if, indeed, there is a way (unbeknownst to big-box store sales clerks) that I could use an all-in-one straight out of the box at the South Pole, saving scan files to an SD card?

I just picked up an Epson RX580 and I think it will do what you want. The reason I got it, is to print on cd/dvds. It will print from a memory card and scan to a memory card without pc. That's what the manual says anyway.
Here is a link to manuals.

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/rx58__/rx58__ba.pdf

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...e=yes&infoType=Doc&oid=72106&prodoid=63059193

I have an Epson CX4600 and you can toss something on the scanner and hit the copy button and it will spit out a copy of it in color or black and white. So in that way it works just like a copier, you can even tell it how many copies you want. I do not know of any way to scan it to a file on an multimedia card though.

Also, if you have the pictures on an SD card, or whatever (it will accept a bunch of different types) you can print any of those that are on the card. Same with my mom's HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back