TechSpot

Can Anyone Explain the Linux Filesystems? (ext2, ext3, swap)

By Vehementi
Oct 4, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretty self explanatory, I want to know things like the cluster sizes, comparibility in speed and other such things to FAT32 and NTFS, and partition size limits, losing space, etc.
    I'd especially like to know the difference between ext2 and ext3. Which one's better, newer, faster, specialized, etc.
    And what some effective partitioning strategies would be. Or does it not matter? What about fragmentation? Data recovery?

Boy I ask alot of questions, for I am young and set on the path of gaining knowledge :D
  2. deus

deus TS Rookie

Veh,

There's really not a good answer to that question. Ext2 and Ext3 are both good filesystems - the differences. Well to keep this post short I'll just point you to a pretty good information page about ext3. It goes into the details of how the filesystem works. As far as a comparison to NTFS - well there really isn't a comparison.

Here's the page:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/4136/4/

btw - I decided to wait on sending you the RH 7.3 CDs. RH 8.0 just came out so I'm going to send that to you instead, cool? I left them downloading at work - so I'll burn them Monday and send them sometime next week.

--deus
  3. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 3,199

Great link deus. Lots of information, everything I wanted to know and more :D Thanks alot :grinthumb

Even better on the CD's :D Thank you! Sweet...

:eek: Sounds very nice.
  4. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 3,199

I also found this very helpful.
  5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Only if you're using ext3. Its journaling, which by default flushes the journal every 5 seconds (if I remember correctly), helps a lot. If you're using plain ext2, fsck can take a few minutes if the partition is, say, 10GB.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.