Can anyone give me a reason why I should upgrade to XP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to give my AMD 1600 some attention, instead of just using it.
As part of this effort I picked up a new 60 GB Hard Drive. Besides moving all the JPG files to CD and DVD, I got rid of a lot of demo software whose time had expired. There is plenty of room on my 40 GB drive with WIN98 installed and working well. I even managed to squeeze it down to make a 15 GB bootable copy on another HD to preserve my three years of enhancements as of today.

I see a lot of good advice as to how to do things such as dual boot etc.

All of this assumes one wants to upgrade to a newer OS. I am just loking for reasons as to why I should make the effort.

Thanks, Bill

Yes. Windows XP is being maintained security wise, to protect you against the threats that a modern PC faces when connected to the net. Windows 98 is not.

Windows 98 is old technology. It lacks many of the multimedia and internet enhancement of newer operating systems. Its TCP/IP implementation is old, and very likely contains many security problems. Direct X is only available - I believe - to a certain version with Win9x, so I believe that newer games are not available unless you have XP too.

I remember reading an article when Windows 2000 came out about this guy who was still running Win 3.1 . He wrote this big article on how good it still was, most of which centered on how fast it booted up on this new rig. Big deal. So, it runs quickly, boots quickly - but it does b@@@@ger all. Its old technology, and unless you need to be running it for some compatibility reasons, I would ditch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back