Can anyone recommend a good oversized Fan/Heatsink for socket 775/asus motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseypeach

Hey there,
I am having temp problems (Intel Pentium D 820 last temp read at 67 C) and need a bigger, better heatsink than the standard size. Can anyone recommend a good alternative that is cost efficient?

Yes, I have reinstalled the fan/heatsink with a fresh layer of Artic silver after cleaning thoroughly but its been no help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Almost ANY aftermarket heatsink that has 6 heatpipes and a backplate (requires removal of the motherboard to install) will FAR exceed the crappy *Intel stock" heat exchanger.

You have to realize, Intel NEVER plans on you to game - the basic utilization of a high end Intel CPU is to crunch some numbers BRieFLY!

You will have to decide - I suggest Tom's hardware reviews to start.

:)

Believe it or not CCT, I don't game! Just multitask a lot, video editing and such. Thanks for the heads up though, I will remember that next time I build a system. Thank you too, Supersmashbrada. I will check into both of your recommendations. Cheers!

Then, I suggest, with abject apologies, etc, that one leg of your stock heatsink is NOT clipped in properly.

:(

No apologies necessary ;)

I guess that could be possible. I will check. Last time I checked it though it was secure. Suppose it could've gotten loose?

The Intel stock heatsink is possibly the poorest designed piece of hardware EVER offered to the computing world.

They pop a leg like a dog with a full bladder. The slightest jarring of your comp can dislodge the heavy and poorly secured piece of crap they foist on you.

Am I bitter? Yes.

:haha:

well thanks for that, I will check it right now. Let you know if its loose. Oh and thanks again!

well it wasn't loose, but its pretty dirty :(. I hadn't looked at it lately. Sad but true. Hell I've barely been home in weeks. I will get some air and clean it up good. If it wasn't for you suggesting that I would have probably wasted my money. Thanks!

I reseated my POS Intel heatsink like maybe 6 times - never got a good mobo connection and ALWAYS got cpu overheat.

I finally gave up, bought a backplate 6 heatpipe cooler and have never looked back.

The fact that ANYONE would sell high end gaming comps with an Intel stock cooler BURNSSSS!!!!!

nuf said

Well, I will be sure to buy AMD next time!

I have had a lot of problems with my ASUS motherboard too. Its the P5VDC-MX. Never waste your money on it or recommend it. Has limitations on the CPU's that are Dual Core not to mention the memory is DDR and DDR2 slotted. You have to use one or the other. I use the DDR2 slots at 1 G but to go any higher wouldn't do any good either because there is a memory limitation on that too! I never would have bought it had I known but I have made the best of it.

I'll be building a new system sometime in the (hopefully) near future.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back