Can connect to any site except Facebook and I can't even ping it in CMD

By Asketa
Jan 13, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. I can't connect to Facebook. I could this morning, but suddenly I can't anymore. It tries to load, and then says "The connection has timed out". I use Firefox. It.s my personal computer, not business or public.

I also can't connect with Internet Explorer. However, I can connect with Firefox, or IE from other computer (Other computer also has other internet provider).

I can connect to any other site on the web, like I am right now.

When I go to run, CMD, and type "ping" it also says "Request timed out", and 4 packets lost. When I ping it, I get " []". When I search for that IP I get "Facebook Ireland Ltd".

When I do same ping on my other computer (and other internet provider) he pings " []" and pings correctly. From that other computer I also can't ping first IP (31.13...), but from first computer (on which I can't go to Facebook site) I can ping second ping (179...) correctly, but I need to type it in manually. When I just type "ping" it gives me that first IP that doesn't work (31...).

I doubt it's malware or similar, because this morning I could go to Facebook, and I didn't turn off my computer today. Also I hardly used Internet today because I was writing some paper in Word.

Why does it happen, and why do I get different IP's when I type "ping"?

Any idea how to fix it?
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

Good Job - - you're on the right approach - -
    Again, well done - - you have the error in front of you
    • ping by ipaddress works
    • ping by domain name fails
    This means the DNS resolution from name -> ip address is bogus
    On system (1) and (2), get the ipconfig /all >tcpConfig.txt and compare
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
    *IF* both systems are using the same DNS addresses, then suspect
    • addons in the browsers
    • the etc\hosts file
    • some virus
    *OTHERWISE*, determine why two systems have different DNS addresses
  3. Asketa

Asketa TS Rookie Topic Starter

Update: the problem seems to have repaired itself. I restarted the computer, but nothing happened. It was late so I turned off computer and went to bed. In the morning everything was working again - I could access Facebook without any problem.