Can do everything except read data files from CD-RW in Explorer in normal mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can burn, format, and test my CD-RW but cannot see data on the drive for any user in Windows Explorer on my W2k box--except in safe mode. I can burn a disc and then boot into safe mode and see everything, but if I try to do so in regular mode then I get a "drive not accessible" message. In safe mode I see everything fine.

This is true of any type of media. I can play music and rip it to disk with Windows Media Player but if I try to access the drive directly I get various error messages. If it is a CD-RW disk I will get a message that the disk is not formatted, do I want to format it now. If I say yes another error pops up really fast that says that the disk cannot be formatted.

I can back up all my data to CD-RW media (TEAC W54e-old but it doesn't get used very often) and read it on other computers, just not this one (except in safe mode).

This happens with every kind of data CD(r, rw, commercially burned, etc.). Everything looks like it is going to autoplay, the CD-ROM in Explorer disapears as if it is going to change it's name to the CD that was just inserted, but then nothing happens. Explorer tells you when you have an audio CD (but not which one). The interesting thing is that you can burn and run every Nero utility at it (and see the files on the same computer in Safe Mode) and you can also play and rip music cd with Windows Media Player. Just can't see anything in Windows Explorer. TG

Obvious suggestion -

Go into Device Manager,uninstall the CD RW,then scan for hardware changes.

More less obvious ones HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back