Can dvi i to vga adapter can change monitor display quality

Rexinriot

I have a flat panel samsung monitor with only one vga port...I am planning to buy a gtx 960 which does have dvi I ,hdmi and all other ports except vga....
now I know that to connect my monitor to graphics card I need a dvi I to vga port...

but my question is:
1. will such connection give digital signal to my monitor ie will my display quality improve...or by connecting the adapter actually again I am getting analogue signals to my monitor..and thus same inferior picture quality (as I know digital signals to monitor means better picture quality..if not wrong)
In short is there any chance to improve quality in my monitor by connecting dvi I connector to vga of monitor....
2. Moreover do I require a active adapter or passive for desired result....

Sry if its a dumb question...but really confused about how to get a gud quality monitor

No. VGA will only adapt from a DVI port that supports analog signaling, such as DVI-A or DVI-I. DVI-A is strictly analog. DVI-I supports both analog and digital. Where as VGA would not function at all on a DVI-D, which is strictly digital.

Varying signal strength is a known quality of VGA because of the analog signal. The question you ask seems to suggest question if there is loss of quality from the digital signal. That is not how it works.

Ok I got it...now..by using passive converter or any such devices ...can I convert analog to digital signals for better picture quality..

No, analog will stay analog.

By way of explanation, the DVI to VGA adapter does not convert a digital signal to analog but rather passes through an existing analog signal. Conversely, you cannot "convert" an analog signal to DVI. It will still be analog.

Last edited:
I'm afraid not. The digital signal will still be analog quality. But by converting the signal to digital as soon as possible there will be less chance of signal degradation (which by the way is a slim chance with short cables).

Not much point in spending the money on a new graphics card if you don't upgrade the monitor. I think you need to do both, or just stay with what you have.

Back