Can flash drives transport virusus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scolaire

I'm helping a friend with his messed up laptop (he's even more computer illiterate than me lol) and I was going to use his 256mb stick to get the hjt log off of the laptop and post it here but is this safe? Can virusus be passed on to my pc? All I'm taking is the hjt log. Any help appreciated.

P.S. His laptop is infected with this thing called eTrust antivirus I think. I've done the preliminary stuff from this website for him but it can't be deleted. Any advice or should I just get the hjt log?

No problem mate.

I`m sorry, but I never answered your original question.

Yes, flash drives, just like any other storage medium can transport viruses. If your not sure about something you want to put on your flash drive, scan it first with a good antivirus and antispyware programme.

Regards Howard :)

ditto. Any portable media can export viri. Scan it before using it if you don't trust it.

That HJT log is as clean as a whistle.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

This thread is for the use of Scolaire only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Uh Oh. There are still traces of the WinAntiVirusPro virus on it though. He has folders in his C drive that cannot be deleted and AVG is not even allowed to search the C drive. Also I found out that E trust Anti Virus is just crap that came with the laptop, so I got rid of it. How can I get rid of all traces of WinAntiVirusPro?

Ok, looking at the HJT log again, I notice there are two antivirus programmes being run. Etrust and AVG, this is not recommended and can cause conflicts. You should uninstall one of them from add remove programmes.

BTW: Etrust is not a rogue antivirus programme, it`s perfectly legit. Winantivius is a rogue programme and should be uninstalled from add remove programmes if there.

I can`t see any signs of infection in the HJT log.

Can you get an AVG Antispyware log to me?

Instructions for downloading, installing and running AVG Antispyware can be found in this thread HERE.

You should also ask your friend to read this thread HERE and decide what he wants to do.

This thread is for the use of Scolaire only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Nope it was just their ant-virus program that was useless. Anyway I tried to get an avg log but there's nothing to show, really, all it said was that nothing was found. I still see this folder though, called Recycler, in his C drive and it contains WinAntiVirus stuff, and I can't delete it. Maybe it's just wrrite protected? I'll try mess with it some more. HJT log is also the same, but Ccleaner got a lot of leftover crap. Once I can budge this I'll be happy.

Try deleting it from safe mode.

If that doesn`t work, then maybe this will.

It seems what has happened now is that mostly everything in the protected folders is gone, some of them are still write protected but they're empty, so I can leave them there without worry can't I? Also the registry still had some partypoker stuff but I got it. Funny that Ccleaner didn't get it though...
Anyway I think all the serious stuff is gone. Thanks for all the help Howard :) I'll try that program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back