Can I burn a 714 MB file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amigosdefox

I know the maximum capacity of a CDR is of 700 MB. But ive seen pages talk about overburning. What I don´t understand is if it is possible to do this in any type of data or just for audio cds. I tried to overburn using NEro by selecting it in advanced properties but when I start writing it imediately said that there wasnt enough disk space and that I should insert a media with more space. I also brough a cdr which said it had a 90 minute capacity or 800ish MB. But nero only detects it as an 80 minute disk. What do I need to do to burn these types of disks?

Personally I just burnt around a 740 meg music cd using Nero without tweaking anything just let the program do its work. I'm not too sure about data, but the process should be basically the same. What version of Nero are you using? Also, what type of burner for that could be affecting it? As far as I know, Nero should burn it to a CD just fine.

One last thing, what type of CD's are you using? This is more than likely the reason behind your problems for some overburn more than others. I recommend Memorex or something to the liking of a better brand like that.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask :)

If you burn music or video, you max out at ~800Mb... (It doesn't have the same errorcorrection you'll need when writing an ISO...)

Note: not all burners support overburning... (Check the second link for a list which should support)

For info on how to overburn audio, check here and here

For general info 'bout overburning, check here (you may want to read the entire article, as it has much good info)..

For info about overburning straight from the horses mouth (Nero), check here

And last, short but sweet info on how to overburn using Nero here

Enjoy :)

Thanks a lot, il check it out. BTW im using the latest version of nero and the cd I am using are very cheap 80 minute clear(no label) princo cdrs. I had bought 90 minute imation cdrs before but since I couldnt get past the 700 MB barrier with those I never brought them again since they were a bit more expensive. I have an LG cd-rw ced-8120b cd writer. I will read the links you posted and let you know.

Well......to tell you the truth, I burned a cd the other day with nero that was about 760 meg. I don't remember exactly, but I know it was definately more than 700. And then I tried again with somthing else, and it didnt' work. I dont' know if it is something internal with the software, or with the thing you are trying to burn. But it seems to work when it wants to, so I am tempted to say that if you are trying to burn something that is over 700 meg TRUELY, then it won't work, but I know that the 760 meg stated by nero, was only really 530 meg. So.....it seems that WHATEVER nero decides it wants to burn it will, and what it doesn't, then it won't. That is of course my experience, I have no justification behind that, but I sure would like to know exactly why this is possible.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
TRUELY, then it won't work, but I know that the 760 meg stated by nero, was only really 530 meg. So.....it seems that WHATEVER nero decides it wants to burn it will, and what it doesn't, then it won't. That is of course my experience, I have no justification behind that, but I sure would like to know exactly why this is possible.

What kind of a file was it? if it's .wav or .mpg you can go quite above the 700... (Though if it's over 80Mb you should get a 90 min cd...)

And Nero has a little bug which (when starting a burn) states that the file is much bigger than what you are actually burning... (It stated that I was burning about 1.5 Gb, when the file was actually 799Mb....)

I can't remember what I was burning exactly, but I know I was confused when I did it:confused: ???????
It just didn't make any sense to me.
I know that you can burn wav or mpeg files that are humongus, to whatever the lenght of the total songs of the movie is. I don't know why, but for some reason when you do these types of files, they go by time, as opposed to size for other burns.

I turned on Overburn in Nero but when I start burning I dont get the option to overburn like the link in Tomshardware shows. I only get a message saying that I need to insert a media which can hold the data but no option to try overburn.

Originally posted by Amigosdefox
I turned on Overburn in Nero but when I start burning I dont get the option to overburn like the link in Tomshardware shows. I only get a message saying that I need to insert a media which can hold the data but no option to try overburn.

Your blank media is not allowing the overburn..Try a different CD maker.

Sorry, I forgot to mention it earlier...

You have to use the disk-at-once option, or you won't be able to overburn

Then you'll get the overburn option...

BTW: I tried with several no-name cdr's and none of them worked aftern an overburn, whereas all the different brand cdr's (memorex, TDK, Verbatim etc.) worked like a charm... (I was trying with the same file...)

Ok I finally got the overburing option to apear with nero and tried to burn the 714 meg file into a no name clear 80 min cdr. It failed. I will buy a 90 minute Imation Cdr and try it again and let you know.

I say buy some 800mb CD's. In Australia you should be able to pick them up at computer fairs. the CD's are about $1.30ea

On my Aopen 24x10x40 CD burner the 800mb CD's work fine.
I use Nero and i am running Win2k (XP started to * upset me).

(*edited by mod)check your Private Messages

may not need overburning afterall

You may not even have to overburn. Files transfered to your computer from CD has to have room for error correction yada yada. Where as music cd has none. Most of these files will always end up bigger on harddrive than when you actually burn it on a CD.

That is the exact answer Mac_Bug - it's all about check bits - Audio and Video have a different number of check bits depending on the format. That's how it's possible to fit an 805 meg mpeg 2 files onto a 700 meg blank CD.

LNCPapa - I like my sig big.

Originally posted by Amigosdefox
I know the maximum capacity of a CDR is of 700 MB. But ive seen pages talk about overburning. What I don´t understand is if it is possible to do this in any type of data or just for audio cds. I tried to overburn using NEro by selecting it in advanced properties but when I start writing it imediately said that there wasnt enough disk space and that I should insert a media with more space. I also brough a cdr which said it had a 90 minute capacity or 800ish MB. But nero only detects it as an 80 minute disk. What do I need to do to burn these types of disks?

I burn 800 MB discs with my NEC 1800A DVD burner and Nero 6.
I selected 90 mn 2 s disc-at-once overburn in Preferences, and I simply don't mind Nero's warnings (you may disable them and even modify the yellow and red bars thresholds, but I prefer to keep them in mind). Nero is unable to identify a > 700 Mb in my burner, but it can burn them and the data verification is always OK. Obviously, when I burn, say, 750 Mb on a 800 Mb media, I can see there is still room reminaing at the end of the CD.

File -> Preferences -> expert features tab
if you can't figure it out from there then dont' attempt overburning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back