Can I get audio if I turn onboard sound off without a sound card?

The title says it all. I recently started playing Medal of Honor and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and on both games I get a frozen screen with looping audio which forces me to shut the computer down via the power button.

after doing some searching around on the net and trying various solutions, I have determined the next step is to disable on board sound. I know this sounds like a noobish question but, is there any way to get sound out of my computer? is there a BIOS setting that allows me to disable the on board sound but still get sound out my PC? these 2 games rely heavily on being able to hear what is going on,

I have an ABIT IP35 Pro with no secondary sound card.

thanks.

No that'd be impossible. if you turn off the onboard sound, how are you gonna get some sound delivered to your speaker or headphone?

you should try disabling the onboard sound and check if it fixes the issue. if it did, also try to uninstall your current audio driver and install the newest one.

looping audio does not always means the onboard sound is faulty. it usually goes on loop because that portion of the soundtrack is already loaded into RAM. therefore it still plays even when the computer froze.

the problem might lies in other thing such as video card or overheating CPU since you indicate it only occurs when you're playing games.

No that'd be impossible. if you turn off the onboard sound, how are you gonna get some sound delivered to your speaker or headphone?

you should try disabling the onboard sound and check if it fixes the issue. if it did, also try to uninstall your current audio driver and install the newest one.

looping audio does not always means the onboard sound is faulty. it usually goes on loop because that portion of the soundtrack is already loaded into RAM. therefore it still plays even when the computer froze.

the problem might lies in other thing such as video card or overheating CPU since you indicate it only occurs when you're playing games.

ive run rivatuner to make sure the video card isnt overheating, and its not. the highest temp I get is 65. pretty sure the cpu isnt overheating either since I have quite a few cooling systems in place for it.

I have, like I said, done some research on the subject and it appears that it is indeed the on board sound. been playing 3 times as long as usual with no problems.

I only asked the question because I didnt know if there was some kind of work around for it. perhaps I should have rephrased the question. I will try uninstalling the sound drivers and installing new ones and see if that works.

Edit: im surprised I didnt actually think of that. perhaps I was convinced the problem lie in the hardware...meh

Well yeah sometimes it isn't always the overheating card. I often got bsod with certain number of nvidia drivers in the past. and it causes similar problems as what you described above. only, it happens in game and in firefox (where I believe use hardware acceleration).

you'd be lucky if it's driver related. couple hours of trial and error will usually do the job.

Well, I did a fresh install of all my drivers on my comp and no dice. I also did some hardware monitoring in game with a few programs. cpu temp never went above 55. memory load was more than acceptable. sigh...I was really hoping I could stabilize it without having to sacrifice sound.

im going to run the game a little longer without sound and see if it happens...I guess I cant be TOO upset that I dont need to buy a new mobo.

Back