Can I Get Help With A Crash Analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croaker

A friend of mine is having problems with his machine. He gets one or two BSOD's every day. I had him send me the minidumps that were available and looked through them, but was unable to really determine anything. When I look at the crashes using WinDBG it seems like the failures are occurring in different instructions and I can not really find a pattern.

I read the sticky about common problems, and my friend says his machine is clean, that he reseated the memory sticks, and that he has a 500M power supply.

The error seems to be mostly centered around some sort of internet usage, but at least once it happened while the machine was idle at the desktop.

If anyone would be interested in trying to help me out with this, I would appreciate it. I have the minidumps and could upload them if you want. I am sure that you would want the system specs, but I am not certain exactly what they are at this point. If there is a utility you would like run that would list the hardware components, I can get my friend to do that and post the results.

Thanks in advance.

Russ.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I don`t do as many minidump threads as I used to, as I don`t have as much time any more.

If you could upload your friends minidumps, I`ll take a look and see what I can come up with.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Howard,

Thank you so much. I have zipped the minidumps that I have received from my friend and am posting them here. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Russ.

5 minidumps crash at ntkrnlmp.exe. This is the Windows nt & kernel system file. They have a bugcheck of 7F.

1 minidumps crashes with an unknown image and a bugcheck of 7F.

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

1 minidump crashes at ntkrnlmp.exe and has a bugcheck of 4E.

1 minidump crashes with memory corruption and a bugcheck of 4E.

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

I believe your friend has some kind of hardware problem.

This could be faulty ram/psu/overheating/mobo/cpu.

This will be difficult to diagnose without swapping out parts.

He should check his system is not overclocked and that his temperatures are normal.

Try running with just one stick of ram and try putting the ram in a different dim slot.

Unfortunately, I can`t tell you specifically, which hardware if faulty.

Regards Howard :)

I will have him try removing memory sticks and testing the system. I saw a post about MemTest, would running that give an indication?

As for overclocking, he says that he has not overclocked anything. I also had him remove the side covers for the tower and try running it like that, but it did not seem to make a difference.

I should have mentioned this upfront, but forgot about it when I posted. He mentioned that he did not recall the crashes occurring prior to his installing a new nvidia graphics card. That was the first thing I was looking for in the minidumps, but it did not appear in the diagnostics so I did not pursue it. I am expecting that the driver itself is fine. Would you think it possible that the card itself is faulty and should be replaced? I understand it would be only a guess as the dumps don't pinpoint the failing hardware, just looking for your input.

Thanks again.

Russ,.

OK. I'll have him follow those procedures and, if it's all right with you, post the findings back here. I really appreciate your time on this and will be posting soon.

Russ.

Good Morning Gentlemen,

My friend followed the Memory test procedure and did not get any errors. Since we seem to be centered around hardware, we contacted the video card manufacturer and asked them about it. Apparently, there is a BIOS update that can be applied which *MAY* correct the error. We are going to update the BIOS and then see if the system stabilizes or not. I will be back within the next few days to update you on this issue.

FYI ... The vid card in question is an XFX GeForce 7800 GS with 256MB of DDR3 memory running in the AGP format. The exact manufacturer number for the item is PV-T70K-UAD. Just thought I would include that in case anyone else comes across this thread in the future with similar problems and the same card.

Thanks again for all the help and I will be updating you soon.

Russ.

**UPDATE**

My friend put in the BIOS update supplied by the manufacturer and then applied the most current nVidia drivers. The machine blue screened again. He then used the Omega nVidia drivers and the machine has run without a problem for the last two (2) days. It looks like this has corrected the issue.

I want to thank you for all of your help, it was much appreciated.

This thread can be closed at this time.

Russ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back