Can I have an IDE Master and a SATA slave???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Need_a_Dell

I recently remade and old computer so that it would be a little more operational. When it came time to put in a bigger HD, we got the idea that we could use the old IDE HD to hold the OS, and the new SATA HD to hold all the user data. The IDE is plugged in as a master, and the SATA is plugged in as a SATA slave. The SATA drive is a Seagate 80GB Barracuda. I downloaded the appropriate driver to install the HD, but it isn't being recognized. I haven't set up the HDs to be Master/slave. Should I have done that? Any ideas?

sata doent use the master\slave system like ide does, how did you plug the sata drive in as slave, they dont have any jumpers

If you mean can you boot from ide drive ,yes
and the sata will be a 2nd or 3rd or 4th drive
thats the way I have it set up
ide boot is 10gig drive
scsi drive as 2nd boot for programs
sata channel 1 as data storage

MOBO - ABIT KV8 PRO
PROC - AMD SEMPRON 2500+
RAM - 1GB

There were two SATA in plugs on the mobo, so I figured that SATA 1 would be master and SATA 2 would be slave. I did some reading and founf that there is no master/slave for SATA. How do I get the computer to recognize the second drive?

If the SATA drive is not formated go into disk management, partition it, formate it and add it to your system. You may also have to load the SATA drivers for it to show up in disk management. If it still doesn't show up you will have to go into the BIOS and double check to make sure SATA is enabled.

Thanks I'll give that a try. i went into device manager and the HD shows up, but it says that it hasn't been initialized. I'll keep fiddling...

If its not initialized then thats it yoru problem right there. Create a partition on that beast and format it to NTFS and you'll be all set.

How do I do that? Is there a program that I should use? Or can I use Windows XP to do that? If I can use XP, where do I go to do that?

Thanks alot for the help, i appreciate it! :grinthumb

If you right click my computer and select Manage that will take you too the computer management console. in there you will find disk management, that will let you initialize it and add it to your system.

I/O error?

I tried to initialize my second hard drive (sata) and I came up with an error that I cannot figure out.. any ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back