Can I install Windows 7 on my Asus Eee PC 1005ha?

By ara002
Jan 26, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought my netbook before the release of windows 7. If I upgrade to 2gb of RAM can I install Windows 7. I have a portable dvd drive to do so.
  2. nbrunt

nbrunt Newcomer, in training

Yes you can. I have a 1005HA and I upgraded to 2GB or RAM just as you are suggesting. I then installed Windows 7 Ultimate and it runs like a charm and has done for several months now. The WEI rating is just high enough to enable all the Aero features of Win7 and as long as you don't bloat it too much, there's no lag at all.

There was a comparison done with this laptop running XP and Win7 and I think the conclusion was that there is very little difference in performance between the two.

This is a direct quote from the review: "Legit Bottom Line: Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system can and will be run on netbooks without a significant performance difference in most areas when compared to Windows XP. Consumers will be able to enjoy the enhancements had since 2002 without fear of turning their netbook into a clunker!"

legitreviews.com/article/1023/6/
  3. ara002

ara002 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 26

My next question is can this be done with an external dvd drive? do you or anyone else have experience booting up with the windows 7 dvd using an external dvd drive?
  4. nbrunt

Yup I have an external DVD drive which I used for this. Seems like we have exactly the same hardware!
  5. ara002

how did you boot up using the external drive?
  6. nbrunt

Run BIOS on startup (F2). Go to the "Boot" tab, select "Boot Device Priority", go down to "[Removable Dev.]" and press + until it is top of the list. Then save, exit and restart. I can't remember if you have to press a key to boot from the external drive but it'll say so if you do.

Remember to reset the boot device prority after you've installed Win7.

Hope that helps :)

Edit: It might not be "[Removable Dev.]". On mine it has that and also an option for "[ATAPI CD-ROM]" which is probably a better bet! Try both if you have them.
  7. ara002

Great! Thank you so much for your help. Now just waiting for the ram to arrive and i will do the upgrade!
  8. nbrunt

No problem! I'm sure it'll work with 1GB but I didn't feel confident enough... and I hate lag... :mad:
  9. ara002

Thank you for your help. I successfully installed Windows 7 and it works great. The only problem I have is getting the f1-f12 keys to work using the Fn button (volume, screen adjustment, brightness, etc). The only one that works is Fn+F1, putting it on standby and the Fn+the arrow keys . Also the I can not scroll or zoom in using my touchpad like I could using XP. Did you experience this or know how I can fix it?
  10. ara002

Ok, I got all that stuff to work, never mind. I have one more question though. When I start up, I can still run Windows XP. It is still installed even though I put in Windows 7. I would like to completely remove XP and the programs and files that are still on the hard drive. How can I do that? Thank you.
  11. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,034   +70

You should have formated the partition where you were going to install the new OS.

12. ara002

ok cool. That's what i should have done. What can I do now to remove Windows XP and everything that was on that?
  13. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,034   +70

I honestly have forgotten ..... i think there shall be a folder called windows.old or something like that; same goes for program files.

I am guessing here because I have not seen this situation in so long now. You can manually erase those folders (only these folders that is).

However, to remove xp entry from win7's boot loader you have to follow these steps:

1. Click on Start,
    2. Go All Programs, then Accessories
    3. Right click on Command Prompt and select "Run As Administrator"
    4. type bcdedit it will give you boot loader's existing data/settings
    5. type bcdedit /delete {identifier}
    where identifier should look like this:
    Heading:
    Windows Legacy OS Loader
    identifier <ntldr>

Before pressing enter carefully examine what you have typed to ensure accuracy, once you press enter the Boot Configuration Data Editor (BCDEdit) will remove the entry for the ID you specified and display a message when finished. When Windows starts, the only choice available in the boot menu should be the current Windows installation.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.