Can I install XP from #2 CD Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sana

Is there a way to get the XP Disk to reinstall from my #2 Cd Drive... i have discovered my CD/RW is not reading any disks this morning...

it is my Master CD drive .. is there a way to change the drives over even without opening the box up and swapping the 2 plugs at the back of each drive it is a LITE-ON LTR-52327S (prolly crap in world std's but it worked .. once)

could this be the reason why i cannot boot the ATPI from disk to do a clean install?
does it even make a difference ?
thx
going-bald-sana

It doesnt matter which disk drive you use. But go into device manager and uninstall the cdrw drive and then reboot the computer and let Windows reinstall it.

if that drive won't boot to a CD, it isn't a problem that doing anything to do with Windows will fix. Booting to a CD has nothing to do with the OS.

thanks for all the help ... im going to send it to a professional .. they know more about it than i ever will .. after talking to microsoft in nz ... it is more than likely i have a hardware issue that is stopping XP from letting me make any changes .. soooo i got no more choices .. unless i have the DOS command and do it that way ... but if i foofoo it up its byebye PC i think
sana

Do as you suggested yourself: swap the cable on those CD-drives, and make sure you change the jumpers as well, so that old master becomes new slave and old slave becomes new master.
Then make sure to set boot-sequence in BIOS to start from CD before harddisk.
When booting from CD, the BIOS looks for the master CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back