Can I just fix the backlight instead of replacing the screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnyrizo

Yesterday, I was using my Dell Inspiron 1200, when all of a sudden, the laptop went out. I later found out that the problem lied in the backlight. I concluded it was the backlight because the laptop would work when it was connected to an external monitor. In addition to that, updating and resetting the BIOS wouldn't solve the problem.

The question is...can I buy a new backlight or must I replace the entire screen? You have to remember that replacing the screen can cost a lot, and its difficult to find a screen for my exact needs (Dell Inspiron 1200 15") for a low price.

I really don't want to buy another laptop a few months after buying this one. Unfortunately, my parts warranty ran out almost exactly 30 days before this problem occured.

Nope, no chance of replacing the backlight. It is integrated into the LCD panel.

Check EBAY for replacement parts (they might be on there) or even for another laptop the same model as yours that is broken some way else (ie... bad system board).

Yes you can !

Hi, Don't believe that last guy. The backlight is a standard ccfl (neon) tube. I've replaced a couple of them for friends. You have to be careful and it does take time but if you would rather spend about $ 10.00 instead of $ 200.00 it's not that hard. Check to make sure the problem is not the inverter first. About 80 % of backlight problems are due to a bad inverter. The inverter is behind the screen cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back