TechSpot

Can I make an INTERNAL hard drive EXTERNAL?

By foycur
Dec 17, 2005
  1. I have been wanting to get an external hard drive to back up data for both my desktop and my wife's laptop, but they're just so doggone expensive. A friend told me that I can buy an internal hard drive with some sort of a case, get a PCI card with an external SATA hookup, and I'm good. I figure this would be cheaper (and a smaller profile to boot). I've already got Acronis True Image so I don't need any backup software. What do I need to look for when I'm shopping for stuff? I'm looking for at least 300 GB

2. werty316

werty316 TS Rookie Posts: 185

Yeah just buy an external HD enclosure and bingo instant portable HD. Most of them use PATA IDE HDs and USB to connect to a PC.

3. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

4. foycur

foycur TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 114

two of the three you recommended only support IDE drives, and one seems to be designed for CD/DVD writers. I'm looking specifically for an external enclosure for a SATA drive.

5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

does it really matter just about made in china
    look here this should do it sata enclosure

6. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

absolutely. I'm using one now. You have to by a USB to IDE converter. You can get them for about $20 on ebay brand new. They come with a power adapter and a USB cable that ends in a IDE connector. Most good kits also come with a 3.5 inch converter.

You can fabricate a container from some wood.
    I simply use the device as an ultra large USB drive to transfer files from computer to computer.

oops - you were looking for SATA.... I'm sure they have them also.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.