Can I make router into a hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin1978

I have a Linksys router; is it possible to turn that into a regular hub? I'm trying to setup a DNS and DHCP server and the router may be interferring.

Hmmm.....Good question, I cant help yet, but I'll look around the net and see if I can find anything!:grinthumb

Well I just read a thing that said if you disable the DHCP it would act as a dumb switch..lol...what exactly are you setting this server up for again?

If you have the Linksys BEFSR41 then all you need to do is disable DHCP on that bad boy and you should have a switch. You are correct Vassil - I didn't read the end of your post before my initial post of this message.

LNCPapa

My mind is a mess right now with so many variable questions to ask. Please tell me if I got something wrong.

For the moment I am setting up a two computer network running win2000 and win2000server. I am trying to configure the server as a DNS server, but I don't know if I did it right. I don't have a handle on this forward and reverse lookup settings just yet. The win2000 server DNS is like a workgroup isn't it?

Let's start simple and forget about internet access. I just want a LAN. Since I only have two computers do I even need the router/hub? Can I just connect the computers via cross-over cable?

Now, in order for the computers to see each other they have to be in the same workgroup or domain(provided by DNS?). Do I got that right? I manually assign an IP address to the server and the DNS service assigns an IP address to each client computer connected to the server. So I don't need the DHCP service at this point?

When I do need internet access, then I need to run the DHCP service on the server? The server becomes the gateway? Won't I need two ethernet cards on the server then?

Now, let's put the router variable into the mix. Can I enable DHCP on the router and disable the DHCP service on the server and still have DNS service? but the router is providing it's own DNS to the computers connected to it.

I think I just lost my sanity. :blackeye:

Erwin I know someone here has to have the answer, come on Vehementi, where are you, your normally all over this stuff?

erwin1978 you seem rather confused on a number of points.

why don't you try explaining more clearly what it is you are trying to do.

you go to an IP address, im not at the right computer right now so i dont know

something like 1.1.xxx.xxx
then the password is "admin" no username

ill check my other computer and post when i have the time:blackeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back