TechSpot

Can I network two different workgroups in Windows XP Pro?

By maclarke
Apr 4, 2006
  1. hi, I have a computer hard connected to a belkin wireless router and have wirelessly networked my PDA and other computer perfectly!

However, i have an additional computer used by a family member who uses a tablet pc for work who would like to be connected to my network. this computer has a different workgroup and cannot be changed.

Is there a way network the two workgroups and share files?

When i browse the network places, i can see the other workgroup and computer, but i am unable to access the files. Any ideas?

2. TypeX45

TypeX45 TS Rookie Posts: 216

Can you at least get the prompt that asks for a password or do you get the message that say workgroup can not be contacted?

3. maclarke

maclarke TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

hi, yeah i can get to the prompt by going to start| Run and typing \\mycomputer name

4. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

don't think you need to add a seperate workgroup
    add a guest account with user name password

5. maclarke

maclarke TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

Figured it out

Hi. just to let you know that my friend suggested that i just map the network drive and it works perfectly now!!!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.