Can I pick a CPU cooler based on TDP?

Bobbyrae

I have read that the CPU TDP rating is not consistent between manufacturers, so you shouldn't try to compare CPU's that way. But what if you are talking about different CPU's from the same mfg? Like AMD.

Once I had a Athlon XP CPU that had a TDP of 60W. I bought a copper heatsink and fan (probably Thermaltake) that kept it under 40 degC all the time, and normally around 35. Now, if I am looking to buy an APU (A6) from AMD that has a TDP of 65W, would it be reasonable to assume that a similar heatsink/fan combo would keep things about the same temp? Assuming that I am doing the same things on the new system?

It might. You are assuming the same wattage consumption will result in a similar CPU temperature but you are not taking into account any differences in efficiency. I don't know the relative efficiency values of the CPUs in question but in the end it probably won't make a big difference.

I would just pop on any aftermarket CPU cooler. Any modern aftermarket CPU Cooler that fits your socket will be better than the stock cooler that comes with it. If you arent Overclocking, just stay with the stock cooler. Since AMDs run quite hot with the stock cooler, I recommend getting a Hyper 212 Evo to keep things frosty!

Athlon XP uses socket A, A6 APUs use socket FM2, so I doubt your old cooler would even mount to the board. I would take JC713's advice and get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ($35), which still seems to be the best budget cooler available.

Athlon XP uses socket A, A6 APUs use socket FM2, so I doubt your old cooler would even mount to the board. I would take JC713's advice and get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ($35), which still seems to be the best budget cooler available.

Please take a look at the original question. I said SIMILAR heat sink/ fan combo. When I say similar, I mean a heat sink about the same size and fan with the same CFM. Some of the new heat sinks I am seeing look like monsters; they block memory and expansion slots. I want to believe I won't need one of those. I am not asking for specific cooler recommendations.

Would you care to try again now that I have clarified for you?

Similar to what?
I bought a copper heatsink and fan (probably Thermaltake)...
Is this the combo you are talking about? That's not much of a description. Model number?

The problem is, any aftermarket cooler which fits FM2 is also designed to fit (and cool) all the other sockets and CPUs, and none are small. Some lay down horizontally to fit thin cases, and may be designed to clear RAM by offsetting the finned area. I agree with you that modern air coolers are too large, and even if they clear RAM & PCIe slots, they are in the way when hooking up wires & cables and you bump into them constantly, possibly shifting the thermal paste or even cracking the motherboard. That's why I made the move to a Corsair H100 a while back, and I'll never use air cooling again, at least not on my personal rigs. There are several kits in the $50-$70 range that fit any case with a rear 120mm fan port, and would keep a stock-clocked CPU very cool with almost no fan noise. Not to mention making your build a lot easier to work on while looking a lot "cooler".
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Back