Can I put old C-drive in new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an emachine T2085 that is loaded with programs customized to run a labview test sequence. It also has additional board added to accomodate the test equipment. The board on the computed died and the PHD student we hired to write the test sequences is no longer available. I tried to fun a diagnostics but I cant get pact the boot screen. I pulled the Cdrive and put it in another computer and all the data and operating system are in tact so the hard drive is OK.

Does anyone know if I can purchase a newer emachine and replace the hard drive with my old hard drive then update the newer system drivers. Will my hardrive from the older machine boot in the new one? I am running windowsXP. I really appreciate the help as I know enough to be slightly dangerous and this is a very important tool we use for qualifications testing.

If its important then i am guessing that you will be dedicated to this now almost every computer has a backup hard drive which is mainly for computer fixing companies you can transfer all you files on to that backup and then transfer them on the new hard drive this away your not worried about if the old hard drive will work or not and you have got all the stuff on your old computer all they have to do is be running the same operating system so like say they are both running Windows Vista Home Premium then they will both have the same type of files it might work if you were transferring xp files to vista anyways think about it

Thanks

I know the drive is OK as I an open the files on another computer. I was just wondering if i Can use the same operationg system and programs by putting the drive in a different computer. I think you are suggesting that I clone the drive on a new one and use the new one. I sthat correct.

Yes you can, I've done it before.

Actually we do it in our work place all the time. But then our work computers generally are similar models so there isn't a driver conflict.

You'd probably just need to uninstall and install the proper drivers for the new machine.

absolutely you can, but you must reformat and reinstall the OS and also re-register the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back