Can i put xp on a computer that ran 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

acefsj

I have an older laptop that is running windows 98 and im wondering if i upgrade my ram from 64 to at least 128mb will it support my windows xp.

As long as it meets the other minimum requirements of Windows XP it should be fine:

• Pentium 233 MHz processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
• At least 64 MB of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
• At least 1.5 GB of available space on the hard disk
• CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
• Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse or some other compatible pointing device
• Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution

F-F-Fooey to the "official" minimum requirements. If you don't have at least 1GHz processor with AT LEAST 256MB Ram, don't bother. It will be so slow once you install SP2, all of the updates, a couple of media players, an office suite, itunes, and whetever else you add.
Run Windows 2000. It will run lighter and cleaner on a slow computer

According to my experience , "YES"

As far as my experience is concerned you won't have any technical problems. But you may some driver problems if yous hardwares donot support .
In 64 MB ram , its gonna be kind slow , 128 is ..just ok ..
SInce I installed Windows XP in my old computer like about 6 years ago , i had only 64 mb , and the performance was just ok, not so good .

I suggest you to upgrade for actual XP performance.

I should be alright then it's an acer travelmate 340t with 450 mhz Pentium 3 with 64 mb but upgrading to 128 in each slot so 256mb also 60 gig hard drive.
Thanks for the help just wanted to make sure it is worth buying the ram and external dvd/cd drive

I advise Do Not Bother. You could buy a better comp at a pawn shop for probably close to $225 US.

:)

Oh, thank God for CCT. I was beginning to think the world had gone crazy.
HELL No, you don't want to run xp on 450MHz.
Def not worth buying Ram and ex drive. Invest it in something better.
Like CCT said, you can get something decent for $225-$300
Try Craigslist and/or eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back