can i run a 512mb video card on a 1gb computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xanimefanx

my computer has 1gb and i got a 512mb radeon X1650Pro
can my computer handle it right now i got 609.99 mb available so is my computer going 2 need more ram or is the 512mb the ram to run the games? it says 512 mb of availble system memory or more on the box so do i need more?

Hi

I think your a bit confused

your PC has 1GB of ram, this has nothing to do with.....

Your Video card which has 512MB of ram......

The system ram (1GB) is used by the PC for its own use.

The video card has its own memory of 512MB so that it can process video graphics without the need to use the PC memory.

Clear ??

Regards

the graphics ram(the 512mb) and the physical memory(1gb) are two different components and i shouldn't matter if you haven't got as much on the one as the other

Ididmyc600 said:
Hi

I think your a bit confused

your PC has 1GB of ram, this has nothing to do with.....

Your Video card which has 512MB of ram......

The system ram (1GB) is used by the PC for its own use.

The video card has its own memory of 512MB so that it can process video graphics without the need to use the PC memory.

Clear ??

Regards

Thanks at least i don't have to buy any more memory for now

All correct but....

And i think for a 512mb video card is always dedicated video memory (not share with processor ram) but if a newbie were reading this or some one just wants to be certain what they're getting be sure to look if memory is described as "dedicated" or "shared".

For example, if you saw a 256MB GeForce 7300 LE Video Card advertised you need look closer to see it uses 128MB on board (its own dedicated memory) and 128 shared memory (the latter being taken from your processor use of RAM)

That all changes in Vista if and when you use it. If you have 2GB of system memory up to 1022mb can be utilized for graphics. I had 2GB and it used it. I went to 3GB and still used 1022mb. Downloaded the new Forceware 162.22 today for 32bit Vista and Microsoft upped it by another 512mb. So out of my 3GB system memory 1535mb can and will be used for graphics. These figures include the dedicated memory of your card though.
Here's a good link on the subject:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphicsmemory.mspx

it says it need 512mb of system memory or more for better performance when it is a 512mb card. does that mean i need the video card graphics and system memory?

xanimefanx said:
it says it need 512mb of system memory or more for better performance when it is a 512mb card. does that mean i need the video card graphics and system memory?
The 1650Pro 512mb has 512mb dedicated ram. Cards usually have a system required ram equal to the card's. If you only have 512mb system ram I would get more as you'll see better performance with it.

kpo6969 said:
The 1650Pro 512mb has 512mb dedicated ram. Cards usually have a system required ram equal to the card's. If you only have 512mb system ram I would get more as you'll see better performance with it.
its a 512mb card and i have 1024MB DDR Total but if its on it uses about half so i have 550 ram available out of 1gb in use. So should i be ok with it when running games and stuff or do i need more ram? also does dedicated mean i dont have to get more RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back