Can I start PC with no Heatsink?

By donjo13
Nov 10, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I put together a dell Optiplex GX520 from parts obtained from dell and ebay. I have everything needed but didn't realize it didnt have a heatsink and fan shroud. I had to order it and it will take a few days. It does have a big fan in it. I have a Celeron D 3.33GHz Processor in it. Can I turn it on long enough to check out the bios without damaging anything until I get the heat sink? I just want to make sure it starts up at this point. I'll turn it off as soon I see something. Let me know if I will do damage. Thanks!
  2. nickslick74

nickslick74 Newcomer, in training Posts: 883

Don't do it!! The processor will have thermal protection, but there is no guarentee that it still won't fry. Without a HSF setup you may only get a few seconds before burnout.
  3. jb444

jb444 Newcomer, in training Posts: 113

Really? Only a few seconds? I woulda thought it would take longer than that to heat up
    (Even if it is slightly longer still dont turn it on)
  4. donjo13

donjo13 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 97

Well I read somewhere that an AMD chip would burn up quickly, but an Intel would just get severely hot and run for a bit very slowly.
    I have to admit I plugged in the machine last night the way it was with no Heatsink or fan shroud, and it was already turned on, so I had to turn it off. It was only on for about 5 or 6 secs at best, and when I put my finger on the celeron d chip it was very hot to the touch that quickly. I wasnt sure if it would harm it for just a minute or so, so I thought I'd ask someone.
  5. dmill89

dmill89 TechSpot Guru Posts: 737

This was commonplace back in the days of K6s and pentium1s which could sometimes run for up to half an hour (under no load) without a heatsink (altouugh it was not recomended to run one that long with a heatsink). but with today's CPUs that can get up to 80C in a matter of seconds without a heatsink You should never start your system without a heatsink. Most moderm CPUs will automatically underclock to avoid frying but that's still is not a guarentee that you won't fry your CPU.
  6. Sean

Sean Newcomer, in training Posts: 131

This is the stupidest thing iver never heard, just save your proc, and your fingers and buy a HSF.
  7. donjo13

donjo13 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 97

I did buy one, but it was difficult to find. Ebay sellers didnt have any and even Dell parts was sold out so I had to order a compatable HSF from a different model that works according to Dell support. It just wont be here for a few days still. I was just a bit impatient to get it up and running!:) But I will continue to wait for it to come.

Thanks for all feedback.
  8. Sean

Sean Newcomer, in training Posts: 131

Oh my friend had a dell mobo, and there mobo's are proprietary, which means like noother PSU's, HSF's will work with them, unless modified. Good, it works now.
  9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

only if you like a dead CPU.
  10. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

I think this thread has gone far enough gentlemen.

Thread closed.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.