Can I type right to left in MS Word 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
I'm looking (or actually my dad is looking) for a utility that will allow typing right to left in MS Word 2000. It is for the Hebrew language.

Thanks for any info

FW

i'm not real familiar, but I think you can select language options in MS. I don't know if this changes the settings. Try openoffice as well.... they might work. Good luck.

Yes you can but you have to load the Hebrew Language setting from the Windows cd

Here are the instructions:

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/keyboards/winkey.html

In addition to activating a keyboard for Arabic or Hebrew, you may want to activate and use the Right-to-Left (RTL) and Left-to-Right (LTR) paragraph buttons in Microsoft Word.
To place the RTL and LTR buttons on a toolbar

1. Open a recent version of Microsoft Word for Windows.
2. Under the Tools menu, select Customize to open a pop-up window.
3. Click on the Toolbars tab, then click on the New button to create a blank toolbar window. In the second New Toolbar pop-up window, fill in a descriptive Toolbar name such as "RTL", then click OK to close this window. A blank gray window should be open.
4. In the first Customize pop-up window (Tools » Customize), click on the Commands tab.
5. In the Categories menu to the left, scroll down and select All Commands.
6. In the Commands menu to the right, scroll down and highlight Rtl Para (the button for Right-to-left paragraphs). Move this to the blank toolbar window.
7. Scroll up to Ltr Para (the button for left-to-right paragraphs), highlight and move to the blank toolbar window.
8. When you are finished click the Close button to close the Customize window.
9. A new toolbar with the RTL (right-to-left) and LTR (left-to-right) paragraph buttons will be open. The RTL button is a paragraph symbol followed by a blue triangle; the LTR button is a paragraph symbol with the blue triangle before it.

RTL icon ( RTL button)
LTR icon ( LTR button)

To use the RTL and LTR buttons

1. Open Microsoft Word and switch keyboards to Arabic or Hebrew. You may have to minimize or shrink your window in order to view the Language Bar on your desktop.
2. The cursor will change so that text is typed from right to left. Press the RTL button (RTL icon) in the toolbar to move the cursor all the way to the right side of the page.
3. To switch back to English, switch back to the English keyboard and press the LTR button (LTR icon).

NOTE: You may be restricted to certain fonts such as "Times New Roman", "Arial" or "Tahoma".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back